Help! What should I do the summer before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldfart1997

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a soon to be M1 (starting this fall). I am 27 and used to be a chemical engineer. I dread debt and have a (very early) sense that radiology might suit me well...

And I've got to ask for advice for this summer. I have been told to take this summer easy, but I have pretty much taken the last 6 months off (did not work, took classes at the CC) and am ready to get off my ass. I have two choices right now: I got a full-time job offer as a process engineer and would do that for two months (them not knowing I am going to leave abruptly for med school) solely for the extra 10K that I could make. No other benefit except for the lesser debt that I would need to take on. The other choice is that I just found out that a radiology prof at my future med school has a project that I could work on for 2 months. The project is pretty well along, and he is losing the student working on it to hospital rotations. Hopefully I would be able to get my name on the paper if I went down there and worked on it, as well as exploring the field, for sure setting myself up for research with him next summer, etc. The pay is minimal though.

Any opinions? Could what I do this summer actually help my residency app three years down the road? I am definitely not going to take a year off to do research given my age, this seems like a good opportunity to possibly get published. I hear especially for radiology and other competitive fields, research + publications are a huge plus. Then again, I also might decide on another field, and nothing I do this summer (since it's only 2 months) will have any impact on what goes on my residency application. I can't decide.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

oldfart1997 said:
Hi, I am a soon to be M1 (starting this fall). I am 27 and used to be a chemical engineer. I dread debt and have a (very early) sense that radiology might suit me well...

And I've got to ask for advice for this summer. I have been told to take this summer easy, but I have pretty much taken the last 6 months off (did not work, took classes at the CC) and am ready to get off my ass. I have two choices right now: I got a full-time job offer as a process engineer and would do that for two months (them not knowing I am going to leave abruptly for med school) solely for the extra 10K that I could make. No other benefit except for the lesser debt that I would need to take on. The other choice is that I just found out that a radiology prof at my future med school has a project that I could work on for 2 months. The project is pretty well along, and he is losing the student working on it to hospital rotations. Hopefully I would be able to get my name on the paper if I went down there and worked on it, as well as exploring the field, for sure setting myself up for research with him next summer, etc. The pay is minimal though.

Any opinions? Could what I do this summer actually help my residency app three years down the road? I am definitely not going to take a year off to do research given my age, this seems like a good opportunity to possibly get published. I hear especially for radiology and other competitive fields, research + publications are a huge plus. Then again, I also might decide on another field, and nothing I do this summer (since it's only 2 months) will have any impact on what goes on my residency application. I can't decide.

Thanks for the help!

Well honestly i would have to tell you like i told my friend starting Dental School....CHILL OUT!! Now if the opportunity with the radiologist is low key then go for it...but i recommend relaxing....you'll need it.

If the project isn't too time consuming, then it might be a good idea. Doesn't hurt in any field you eventual decide on to have some research under your belt. In my opinion its overrated in this forum though. Most importantly, make sure you enjoy your life this summer. The upcoming years will stressful and you won't have the time off again. Good luck.

oldfart1997 said:

Thanks for the help!

Don't worry about "how good it will look." Do something that won't burn you out and will keep you fresh for medical school. In other words, do something that you will enjoy.