help! what to wear for interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I just want to get some advice on what to wear. I was thinking of a knee-length skirt (light brown) and a nice turtleneck (black). Is that too casual? The thing is, I hate wearing blazers. Is a suit a must?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the ladies could better help you with this...but it sounds to me like it's WAYYYYYY too casual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by mimi
Hello SDNers,

I just want to get some advice on what to wear. I was thinking of a knee-length skirt (light brown) and a nice turtleneck (black). Is that too casual? The thing is, I hate wearing blazers. Is a suit a must?

Thanks!

The suit is pretty much a standard for interviews. A skirt and turtleneck would likely be too casual.

Originally posted by DW
go with a hunter green suit. its classy and the look for interview success

I would also recommend fishnet stockings. Your interviewer will be impressed, because adcoms know that applicants only break out the fishnets for their first choice. ;)

Originally posted by Woots32
I would also recommend fishnet stockings. Your interviewer will be impressed, because adcoms know that applicants only break out the fishnets for their first choice. ;)

Make sure, though, not to lead on a school that ISN'T your first choice by wearing fishnets to their interview...this is just unethical. :p

Seriously though, the above posters were right...a suit really is standard for ladies. There are lots of options, though...skirt versus pants, button-down shirt versus shell, various (conservative) colors, etc. Good luck, and congrats on your interview!

Being an aged non-trad and perhaps a bit out of touch, I wore a well-fitting light beige suit that I thought flattered me. (Perhaps it was a bit 80's-ish, not sure about that, it was just a hand-me-down from my mom!!!) Anyway, on interview day I walked into an entire room of other interview candidates wearing black, navy blue, and gray suits, with the exception of one girl wearing a lighter blue blouse without a jacket. I sort of paused in conspicuous shock, and said, "I guess I should have worn black!" It broke the ice, anyway! I figured afterward that either I would appear:
1.) Independent in my style and, hopefully, in my thinking, or
2.) Hopelessly out of touch with current fashion, and by extension, society.
Anyway, it didn't seem to hurt me, I got in! :) But if you don't want to "stand out" for better or worse, I would say to go with a suit in a fairly subdued color.

I think the skirt is good, but you've just got to suck it up and put on a blouse and a blazer. I've been wearing horribly painful but extremely beautiful high heels for all my interviews (which probably explains why my back hurts), but it is sooo worth it. If you know you look good, it'll give you that much more confidence. It's too important to not look like you're taking it very seriously.

Originally posted by DW
go with a hunter green suit. its classy and the look for interview success

I thought it had been decided that one could only wear a hunter green suit if one also wore a matching hunter green cockring...which would probably be extremely difficult for mimi to pull off.

Originally posted by crazyA
which would probably be extremely difficult for mimi to pull off.

off of whom?

;)

The interviewer of course, if she REALLY aces the interview

Not that I'm in any way maligning her sexuality.

I sure hope I don't offend anyone.