HELP!! What would you recommend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexandriampino

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just graduated from Arizona State University with a 3.20 GPA with an applied biological sciences degree. I applied to veterinary school during the 2020 cycle and had over 2000 veterinary experience hours and 5 out of 6 letter recommendations, I have been denied by all schools that I applied to which were 9 veterinary schools, they didn't require the GRE. Also, I had a veterinarian and veterinarian student review my personal statements.
The schools that I applied to were:
  1. Ohio State University
  2. University of Arizona
  3. Long Island University
  4. Purdue University
  5. Colorado State University
  6. Michigan State University
  7. University of Florida
  8. Iowa State University
  9. Mississippi
I am debating on whether to go back to ASU for my master's degree and try to get A+'s and combine these two GPA's and then apply to veterinary school. My other option is to go the non-degree seeking route for veterinary school and take about 18 units and only raise my GPA up to about 3.37 if I got all A+'s and apply by 2022 for veterinary school. My last option is to take the GRE and do really well on that and apply to veterinary schools that require the GRE. I can not apply out of the United States because of my dogs due to their breed. I have experience in small animal practice and emergency veterinary medicine. I would like advice from anyone!
Thank you again for reading this thread and giving me your recommendations!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you post in the What are my Chances? subforum and follow the formatting guidelines there, it will be easier for us to offer recommendations. Did you do file reviews with any of those programs? You have more options than you listed here depending on what your last 45 credits, science GPA, etc. look like.

Subforum: What are my Chances? WAMC Veterinary

Format:
A short intro about you, where you are from, any previous application results, the school/s you are interested in, your current career interests.

Cumulative GPA:
science GPA:
last 45:

Any degrees achieved

GRE results:
Q/V/W

Veterinary Experience:
-
-
-

Animal Experience:
-
-
-

Research Experience:

Awards/scholarships:

-
-
-

Extracurriculars:
-
-
-

Employment:
-
-
-

Summarize any concerns you have

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!
I just graduated from Arizona State University with a 3.20 GPA with an applied biological sciences degree. I applied to veterinary school during the 2020 cycle and had over 2000 veterinary experience hours and 5 out of 6 letter recommendations, I have been denied by all schools that I applied to which were 9 veterinary schools, they didn't require the GRE. Also, I had a veterinarian and veterinarian student review my personal statements.
The schools that I applied to were:
  1. Ohio State University
  2. University of Arizona
  3. Long Island University
  4. Purdue University
  5. Colorado State University
  6. Michigan State University
  7. University of Florida
  8. Iowa State University
  9. Mississippi
I am debating on whether to go back to ASU for my master's degree and try to get A+'s and combine these two GPA's and then apply to veterinary school. My other option is to go the non-degree seeking route for veterinary school and take about 18 units and only raise my GPA up to about 3.37 if I got all A+'s and apply by 2022 for veterinary school. My last option is to take the GRE and do really well on that and apply to veterinary schools that require the GRE. I can not apply out of the United States because of my dogs due to their breed. I have experience in small animal practice and emergency veterinary medicine. I would like advice from anyone!
Thank you again for reading this thread and giving me your recommendations!!
You could definitely post in the what are my chances group! But I'd consider Washington, Oregon, and Missouri. WSU and OSU you could get WICHE and not only be less expensive, but there are specific designated seats for WICHE students.

Members don't see this ad :)
WSU and OSU you could get WICHE and not only be less expensive, but there are specific designated seats for WICHE students.
Just FYI but WICHE seats are incredibly competitive to get your state’s funding for since there’s only a limited amount available from your state.

Reactions: 1 users
Just FYI but WICHE seats are incredibly competitive to get your state’s funding for since there’s only a limited amount available from your state.
WSU is still cheaper than most with establishing residency after one year though.

WSU is still cheaper than most with establishing residency after one year though.
Definitely is cheaper than most because of the residency, which also makes it more competitive to get into because more people want that option. It’s not a bad choice, but for OP, I would definitely look at their interview tiers and see where they fall and the chances of getting an interview and advise deciding on applying based on that or if they should focus their efforts at a different school that could fit their stats better.

Reactions: 1 user