Help, Where to apply?? :) WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmosc011

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First of all thanks to everyone for reading and I appreciate any comment or advice received :)
So I just took my DAT this past week and I have been going over which schools to apply to. However, I am not sure which school is a reasonable choice to apply to or which ones are out of my reach. I am currently within my gap year and will be applying this cycle.

Date of submission: As soon as the application opens
Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.88
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.85
DAT score :25AA, 26TS, 23PAT, 24QR, 24RC, 24BIO, 28GC, 26OC
State of Residence: Florida

Undergrad Attended: Florida Int. University
Major: Biology
Minority?: Yes, hispanic
Reapplicant?: No
Nontrad?: No

Shadowing Experience: 200+ hours in general dentistry as well as in periodontist.
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours in tutoring, and activities during the pre-dental society.
Employment: I have been a learning assistant for Anatomy, physiology, histology and biochemistry for several semesters. Also I am currently a Teaching assistant for Physiology lab. Outside of the school environment I have been working since freshman year with my family's company as a Carnival Cruise contractor. During this time I have worked at cruises from LA, to Texas, and also around the Caribbean islands. Also attended yachts and tugboats.
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: Member of the intramural soccer team at the university for four semesters
Relevant Honors or Awards: PBK, Dean's list every year, CPR certified.
LOR type and strength: 3 strong letters from science professors and a letter from a periodontist.

School list:
University of Colorado
University of Connecticut
Nova Southeastern University
University of Florida
Boston University
Tufts University
Rutgers University
Columbia University
Stony Brook University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Washington

I think I have covered all aspects. Again, thanks to everyone for taking their time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! First of all thanks to everyone for reading and I appreciate any comment or advice received :)
So I just took my DAT this past week and I have been going over which schools to apply to. However, I am not sure which school is a reasonable choice to apply to or which ones are out of my reach. I am currently within my gap year and will be applying this cycle.

My stats are:
oGPA = 3.82
sGPA = 3.88

DAT: 25AA, 26TS, 23PAT, 24QR, 24RC, 24BIO, 28GC, 26OC

I have around 200+ hours shadowing, and 100+ volunteering. I was also a member fo the pre-dental society.
I have been a learning assistant for Anatomy, physiology, histology and biochemistry.
Also I am currently a Teaching assistant for Physiology lab.

Outside of the school environment I have been working since freshman year with my family's company as a Carnival Cruise contractor. During this time I have worked at cruises from LA, to Texas, and also around the Caribbean islands.

I think I have covered all aspects. Again, thanks to everyone for taking their time! :))

you have not covered all aspects, see the template...

Members don't see this ad :)

Shadowing Experience: 200+ hours in general dentistry as well as in periodontist.
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours in tutoring, and activities during the pre-dental society.
Employment: I have been a learning assistant for Anatomy, physiology, histology and biochemistry for several semesters. Also I am currently a Teaching assistant for Physiology lab. Outside of the school environment I have been working since freshman year with my family's company as a Carnival Cruise contractor. During this time I have worked at cruises from LA, to Texas, and also around the Caribbean islands. Also attended yachts and tugboats.
Other Extracurriculars: Member of the intramural soccer team at the university for four semesters
LOR type and strength: 3 strong letters from science professors and a letter from a periodontist.

School list:
University of Colorado
University of Florida
Boston University
Tufts University
Rutgers University
Columbia University
Stony Brook University
University of Washington

I think I have covered all aspects. Again, thanks to everyone for taking their time! :)

why UW?

I am a pre-dental too. Your stats are way better than mine. I would say you should be fine to apply to any school you want lol.

I visited Washington a couple years ago and really liked the city and university.
UW basically only takes instate and WICHE applicants. Even with high stats it’s very, very unlikely. 85-90% are WA residents 10-15% are WICHE.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're open to school suggestions, I'd consider UM and UNC. You might get a nice scholarship!

I visited Washington a couple years ago and really liked the city and university.

point taken
but UW is one of the most expensive public schools
given you are URM and have a great app, you can get into cheaper schools
plus, their facilities are aged, and they are facing some pretty bad financial problems
they do have a new dean that was kept on after he was interim dean, and he may be putting them on a better track...

School list:
University of Colorado
University of Florida
Boston University
Tufts University
Rutgers University
Columbia University
Stony Brook University
University of Washington

thanks for adjusting your post to the template
you have a great application, and hopefully your PS will be just as strong
(although you must have been SO disappointed in your PAT score- LOL)
you should have no problem getting into many schools, and may even get scholly offers
you should, of course, concentrate on getting into UF
have you attended pre-dental events there and formed relationships with advisors/faculty/staff/students there?

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for adjusting your post to the template
you have a great application, and hopefully your PS will be just as strong
(although you must have been SO disappointed in your PAT score- LOL)
you should have no problem getting into many schools, and may even get scholly offers
you should, of course, concentrate on getting into UF
have you attended pre-dental events there and formed relationships with advisors/faculty/staff/students there?

YES! I thought I would have performed better on PAT, but there were several tricky questions like rock keyholes. UF is definitely one of my top choices but I also want to apply broadly. I have not been able to attend pre-dental events at UF unfortunately.
Thanks for the help, highly appreciated.

You have great stats and a good chance at stony brook, but they aren’t very OOS friendly!

Definitely make your connections with students through their ASDA chapters if you haven't done so. Let them tell you more about their experience so you know whether you would be comfortable there. It's too bad you didn't go to any recruitment open houses or impressions days..