help! Which one will be best for my career?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Challenge, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Challenge

Which one fits best for my career to become D.O.? Going to PhD program in biomedical science until I get into med school or going to MPH program or work as researcher in biotech field. I have three options to choose what I will be doing for the next year 2003 after I get my master in biotechnology.

I would appreciate your incite. Thank you

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jrich15

jrich15 Member

Couple of questions: What is your grad and undergrad gpa? What is your MCAT? How familiar are you with osteopathy? What community service/hospital experience do you have. I don't think you need to go the phd route. If your grad gpa is good (above a 3.4) then there is no need to get another degree (mph included). I would just work in a science field, work on the rest of your app., and enjoy not being in school for now. Just my opinion.

4. Challenge

My undergrad GPA is 3.0 and grad GPA so far is 3.45 but I have a year to go to boost that up. I have approx. a year of clinical experience (full-time), approx 6 mos. at physical therapy, almost 3 years of Taekwondo teaching assistant, summer internship at NIH, and publication in Journal of Biol. Chem. I wanted to prepare something that helps me go through medical school. The reason I wanted to go to PhD program is then I could take biomedical science courses that could prepares me to go through medical school with tuition remission and stipends. But I'm not sure. I'm still hesitating. But I don't want to work in a biotech field doing research. I don't enjoy doing research that much. Getting sick of it.
    I haven't taken MCAT yet.
    And I'm greatly interested in MPH.
    I don't know which one looks better in terms of applying to med school. In general, will the admission committee prefer me going to PhD program ? MPH? or just work and have some more experience?

5. Hmmm...

I had choices like yours. If you go into a Ph.D. program, the expectation is that you will finish it. That's a long haul. Also, why would you do a Ph.D. if you don't like research? That is just an absurd thing. You'll do more research as a Ph.D. student than as a bench monkey at a pharmaceutical company, and you'll make less money.

The MPH is a good program -- Especially if you like community medicine. Can you afford it though? Did you finance your Masters and your undergraduate with student loans? Your stafford lifetime borrowing limit is $189,000. Getting your MPH could set you back 30 or 40 thousand?

From my point of view, all you need is a decent MCAT score now. With your graduate GPA, you should find a D.O. acceptance somewhere. I have a feeling the MCAT is going to be problematic for you, based on your grammar in your posts. English is your second language? That is going to make the verbal section a nightmare for you. I suggest you start reading to prepare. Read alot and practice your reading comprehension. Schools like to see a good verbal score.

6. Challenge

Yes. English is my second-language. Sorry I wasn't checking my grammar when I posted my message. It is very frusturating though that someone be able to notice English is my second language just based on my post.
    Is the MCAT writing score important ?
    I find it much more difficult writing than reading.