Help with a film

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckent

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will someone help me read a film? I was given a film to read and give a differential diagnosis for as homework for one of my classes. I was given no history regarding the case, only the film and the questions.

Click here to see the film:
http://www.geocities.com/ck2091/index.html

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ckent,
First thing that comes to mind is an inguinal hernia. Pt will die from strangulation and death of a small bowel segment if not surgically corrected.
rad_one

Axial images of the pelvis showing homogeneous soft tissue masses in the inguinal canals bilaterally. The problem is that we are not given enough information to answer the question. To adequately assess these findings, you need to cine through them to determine their extent (i.e. - see how far up and down they go). On the right side (in the cephalad slice) there seems to be one or two more soft tissue masses, but again without seeing all of them, it's dangerous for me to venture a guess, but here goes:

1. Lymphadenopathy (I'll let you look up the differential for this. Keep it mind, it varies with patient's age.)

2. Possible bilateral inguinal hernias, but doubtful. The left hernia (if that's what it was) should also be seen in the cephalad slice. Also, no bowel loops are seen in these homogeneous masses.

Challenge your professor to give you all the information. No radiologist would attempt an interpretation otherwise.