PhD/PsyD Help with Adaptive Behavior Functioning Assessment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otowngirl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently on internship at a state hospital and we're hitting a wall with trying to assess adaptive behavior functioning. None of our caregivers seem to know the residents well enough to complete an ABAS or anything similar, and we've used the Independent Living Scales as a performance based measure but it's pretty outdated. Does anyone have recommendations for assessments they like to use?

Has anyone ever used the DASH-3 or the ABDS and have any feelings about those?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ABDS is interview based, so you'll run into the issue of not having a reliable/valid rater. DASH-3 could be a good option. It's performance based (but allows for interview data to compare, say, across settings) and it's criteria-based. If you're looking to use the results for treatment planning and sensitive outcome measures (particularly if progress is slow or statistically small progress is practically significant), then I'd go with a criterion based measure (i.e., one that answers the question "which of these skills can the subject demonstrate). Standardized measures based on other-reports ("how does this person's rating of that other person's skills compare with an aggregate of other's rating of the standardization sample") can have limited utility for treatment planning and progress monitoring.