Help with BS section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

up40loves

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a weak background in biology as I am a non-science major. I studied Kaplan's biology book and skimmed through EK biology but I am still having problems on the Biology section. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Is there a certain way that I should study for it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're a non science major you first master the content. Don't skim through the material as that'll just waste your time. Use your introductory level bio book that you used during biology class and try to read the topics outlined in the Kaplan bio book from the college text book. After this you can go on and start doing questions (discretes first and then passage based).

Another factor to consider will be the time you have before your actual MCAT. I would recommend you giving yourself about at least 3-4 months in mastering the content and then applying it in context.

Hope that helps

Since you're a non science major you first master the content. Don't skim through the material as that'll just waste your time. Use your introductory level bio book that you used during biology class and try to read the topics outlined in the Kaplan bio book from the college text book. After this you can go on and start doing questions (discretes first and then passage based).

Another factor to consider will be the time you have before your actual MCAT. I would recommend you giving yourself about at least 3-4 months in mastering the content and then applying it in context.

Hope that helps

Thanks, what techniques would you use for the BS section?

Thanks, what techniques would you use for the BS section?

I basically used all of Kaplan techniques minus the mapping one which I thought was a waste of time. Don't try to attempt questions without reading the passage. Try to observe any trends in the passage and skim through details that you feel are not related to biology because chances are that you won't be tested on them. Don't try to understand each and every sentence that is in the passage becasue most of the times the hard part is not touched by the questions. Ideally you don't want to spend more that 8.5 minutes on each passage where most of the 8.5 minutes should be spent answering questions.

Every one has a slightly different technique that suites their way of studying. As you practice you will come up with a technique that suites your needs the best. So Practice!

Depending on what you're having trouble with (interpreting data, facts, using graphs, etc.) I would recommend getting the Examkrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Biology book (not through them, though; maybe amazon or B&N because they're cheaper). It's just a lot of practice doing passage-based questions and the passages are organized by EK chapter so you can really focus on your weak areas. They really helped me a lot, and quickly.