help with class schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raj4444

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, how's everyone doing? I am having a little problem scheduling my classes. I was hoping you all could list the following classes in the order in which they would help me most on the MCAT. These are the classes: Population Genetics, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Vertebrate Physiology, and Biochemistry. If there are any other classes you feel may be more important, i'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Biochemistry
2. Physiology (not sure which one of your two classes is closer to the traditional physiology. You certainly don't need to know anatomy for MCAT)
3. Population Genetics

The one class that I highly recommend is Molecular Cell Biology. MCAT usually throws in one or two pretty difficult passages on MCB, most notably intracellular signaling and molecular bio techniques/experiments, and they often are beyond the scope of what your introductory bio class may go over.

I think taking Biochem will only help, although I'm not sure how much it will help. Same with Physiology. The reason I say this is that the biochem and especially the physiology components of MCAT are pretty basic stuff, and your knowledge from the intro bio course and the MCAT prep class reading should suffice for those topics.

1. Physiology
2. Genetics
3. Biochemistry (I had Biochem and Genetics prior to the MCAT. It seems that of the two, Genetics was more useful in regards to the MCAT.)

I second otter's recommendation about taking Molecular Cell Biology.

otter's right on all counts. Biochem helps on the bio and physical section(reviews some of the important gen. chem concepts), anat and phys. helps because they often include questions about general anatomy/hormones etc. Population genetics might help a bit, but the others are better. Otter's also right about molecular cell. Pain in the a$$, but a good course that covers a bunch of useful material

BR