May 21, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi non-trads!

I am an older engineering PhD Student planning to apply next cycle. Because I was in engineering I have to take Gen bio. I am looking at taking Gen bio I this summer. I need help to decide if I should take it at
- UC Berkeley extension, which usually meets in person and is a hybrid online format with live classes. It's more expensive and doesn't have a lab. 3 units. and I'll have to figure out how to take a bio I lab at some point
- UCSD extension, which is a new class, looks like it will stay online even after COVID, but it does have a lab component and it's a little cheaper. 6 units. The only thing that bothers me is that it's an online class, which online classes have some bad reps.
Does this even matter with COVID? which one would you pick? would you pick something else?

Thanks!!!

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
You don't want to take the lecture w/out the lab--you'll get all confused because the lab simulations are supposed to reinforce the lecture. Would pick something else.

May 21, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
You don't want to take the lecture w/out the lab--you'll get all confused because the lab simulations are supposed to reinforce the lecture. Would pick something else.
So the UCSD one would fit the bill since they have a lab component at home? looks like there won't be many labs to go around this fall either anyway, and I can't wait for the perfect conditions to take it. My only concern with the UCSD one is that it's online class, not hybrid.

About the Ads

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
lockedinphdjail said:
Hi non-trads!

I am an older engineering PhD Student planning to apply next cycle. Because I was in engineering I have to take Gen bio. I am looking at taking Gen bio I this summer. I need help to decide if I should take it at
- UC Berkeley extension, which usually meets in person and is a hybrid online format with live classes. It's more expensive and doesn't have a lab. 3 units. and I'll have to figure out how to take a bio I lab at some point
- UCSD extension, which is a new class, looks like it will stay online even after COVID, but it does have a lab component and it's a little cheaper. 6 units. The only thing that bothers me is that it's an online class, which online classes have some bad reps.
Does this even matter with COVID? which one would you pick? would you pick something else?

Thanks!!!
Well it also depends where you live--I'd pick a class close to home

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
lockedinphdjail said:
since they all switched to online, for the summer, it opens lots more options, but there aren't that many labs.
Then pick a class that includes the lab portion

About the Ads