Help with disclosing an institutional action :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pugsandstuff

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so long story short I'm a bit of an idiot and didn't realize I had an IA until this morning... after my primary and multiple completed secondaries had been sent out. I contacted my university to confirm, contacted the AAMC, and contacted each of the programs I have applied to to get their school-specific directions on how to disclose. Now I need some help with what I'm actually going to write to each school.

A rundown of the situation: freshman year I was found showering with a male friend. We were not doing anything sexual, but because it was an all-girls dorm, I was found responsible for "indecent conduct" and "failure to control guest". I only met with the head RA of my building, did not have a judiciary hearing or get notice from the dean, and just had to write a short essay as a substituted sanction. I get that I was in the wrong and have never had any actions against me since, but it was minor and over three years ago, so I honestly did not remember it until browsing reddit last night and saw someone talking about their minor IA.

My question then is how in-depth should I go during my explanation of the incident? How do I say that it honestly didn't cross my mind during primaries without making it sound like I'm brushing it off? And finally, any guidance for how long this essay should be?

I would love some input from fellow applicants that have done an IA essay and adcoms. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For any IA it is best to be honest. To me this IA does not seem nearly as serious as cheating or a drug charge.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't done an IA essay, but I had a few traffic misdemeanors. Just keep it short and sweet. Own it, reflect on what you learned. I have to admit it is kind of funny being called "failure to control guest" like he was a wild dog in your building haha.

You're good as long as you own it and reflect on it. Just don't apply to Loma Linda

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, so long story short I'm a bit of an idiot and didn't realize I had an IA until this morning... after my primary and multiple completed secondaries had been sent out. I contacted my university to confirm, contacted the AAMC, and contacted each of the programs I have applied to to get their school-specific directions on how to disclose. Now I need some help with what I'm actually going to write to each school.

A rundown of the situation: freshman year I was found showering with a male friend. We were not doing anything sexual, but because it was an all-girls dorm, I was found responsible for "indecent conduct" and "failure to control guest". I only met with the head RA of my building, did not have a judiciary hearing or get notice from the dean, and just had to write a short essay as a substituted sanction. I get that I was in the wrong and have never had any actions against me since, but it was minor and over three years ago, so I honestly did not remember it until browsing reddit last night and saw someone talking about their minor IA.

My question then is how in-depth should I go during my explanation of the incident? How do I say that it honestly didn't cross my mind during primaries without making it sound like I'm brushing it off? And finally, any guidance for how long this essay should be?

I would love some input from fellow applicants that have done an IA essay and adcoms. Thanks!
Explain it and own it. Do NOT say "this was minor."

Reactions: 3 users
Explain it and own it. Do NOT say "this was minor."
Definitely will not say that. Do you think I should just come right out and say I was showering with a dude or is that too blunt?

I will modify my cat IA essay for you:

In (month) of (year), I was found to have my man, (insert name) in university housing without prior approval. I had to write an essay. After which, I got to keep my man, (insert name).

This IA is about as serious as my cat IA. Treat it as such.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know what the IA exactly says on your record? Maybe you can just copy that.