Help with Diversity Essay Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedRookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really struggling with this diversity essay. I feel like I am not completely understanding what they are looking for. Three pretty awful ideas are listed below:

1. Working to pay for tuition, living expenses, etc starting when I was 16. I worked full time during school for a total of over 5,000 hours. Talk about how I am now hardworking and dedicated.

2. I grew up in an almost all white town and was very sheltered. When I started working, I worked closer to the city. I was exposed for the first time to other races and religions. Also to ideas such as dropping out of school and such. I learned how those things don't matter.

My concern with #2 is coming off as being previously not open minded.

3. I work at my university and tutor people from all different countries and of different abilities.

Please Help Me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

For number 2, just talk about how your experiences made you more accepting of others. I think you would have a lot to talk about.

Do you think it is okay to say that I was relatively closed minded when I was younger. I didn't even realize that I was until I started working there but I don't know if it will come off as a huge negative...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't label yourself! One way or the other, let the reader determine what type of person you are.

Do you think it is okay to say that I was relatively closed minded when I was younger. I didn't even realize that I was until I started working there but I don't know if it will come off as a huge negative...
I wouldn't say "closed-minded" or "sheltered." There are ways to be candid about having not been exposed to diversity as a kid without using a descriptor that has negative connotations. Say that you came from a community that lacked diversity, and you went through a period of self-discovery when you were first exposed to backgrounds different than your own.

Or something that sounds better than that :)

I wouldn't say "closed-minded" or "sheltered." There are ways to be candid about having not been exposed to diversity as a kid without using a descriptor that has negative connotations. Say that you came from a community that lacked diversity, and you went through a period of self-discovery when you were first exposed to backgrounds different than your own.

Or something that sounds better than that :)

Ah thank you so much..that is really helpful. I suck at writing. I tend to just write what I feel, instead of changing the wording to make it more positive.

I've been stuck on this prompt forever too! Haven't yet figured out what i want to write...

but I think you could definitely combine 2 and 3 together to show how you grew.