Help with EC's and hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunoknow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have recently finished a course in phlebotomy and EKG, and my instructors will be sending me to an internship to gain some experience.

This is an eye/lung clinic for the internship (completely opposite of my interests, but the only close one...), and I'm guessing the internship should be a total of around 30 hours? I told them that I would also be volunteering at a pediatric/children's 's clinic near here after my internship is over since I am very interested in pediatrics, and my instructors told me that the internship would also count as volunteering...

The thing is, I don't want to list a dozen different places I volunteered at if it's only going to be 30-40 hours. I already have a moving situation so I will be volunteering at a few different hospitals over the course of 4 years- I am trying to stay away from dozens of listings

Can I combine the volunteer hours at this internship with the MAIN clinic I will be volunteering in? I plan to volunteer around 100 hours at a pediatric clinic; can I simply combine the 30-40 hours of the internship into this one, instead of listing it separately? I don't want to show them that I was all quantity, since quality matters more and I want to try and stick to a few, long locations.

What would you do in this situation? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

It's really your judgement call on whether or not you want to combine hours from different internships. My only advice would be first to check whether they report your hours at the clinic. The volunteer program that I am keeps strict logs of hours in order to maintain credibility of the program. Total hours volunteered are reported on letters of recommendation.