Help with ERAS. abstract vs article, ad hoc reviewer & USCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Good Mountain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions regarding ERAS.

Question #1: Regarding the category of Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts.
I am lost here. ERAS does not differentiate in between a published abstract and an article? They end up both under the same category?
I have oral and poster presentations that were presented in Congresses that published them in their peer-reviewed journal. I also have peer reviewed articles. When I add all of these they end up under the same category. How can the program director diferentiate in between a mere abstract and a publication (unless they check in pubmed)? Is there another way to do this?

Question #2: ad hoc reviewer.

I have been an ad hoc reviewer for two journals. Where can I add this info in ERAS?
If you place it under RESEARCH EXPERIENCE then what do you write in the Supervisor field?

Question #3: United States Clinical Experience

Where does this go?
In the TRAINING section it only allows entries of fellowships, residencies and Osteopathic Internship. Should it go in the Work Experience section? It does not sound right!

Question #4: GRANTS

Where can I add the grants ?

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am new here...

Question #1: Regarding the category of Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts.
I have the same question. I believe that poster section is for those congresses that dont publish the abstracts.

Question #2: ad hoc reviewer.

no idea.

Question #4: GRANTS

As Work experience, maybe.

Question #5: Language

no idea. plain english

Question #6: Other Awards/Accomplishments section

no idea

#1 - there are several ways you can do this. First, ERAS orders the CV alphabetically by the first name on the author list. Therefore, you can say: Peer Reviewed Article #1 -- director, aProg, blah blah blah; then Peer Reviewed Article #2 -- director, aProg, blah2 blah2 blah2; then Poster #1, etc. This way, all of the articles will be listed together.

Perhaps a better way is simply to "link" to your work and research experience section. Presumably all of your pubs came out of work or research experience. Simply list the research experience, and then in the descriptive text finish with "This work resulted in 2 peer reviewed publications and 27 posters, plus a nobel prize, but who's counting?" and you could even list the #'s of the articles on your CV.

#2 - as an ad hoc reviewer, I assume you were not paid. Therefore, this is a volunteer experience. You could list it as a research experience if you wish.

#3 - Depends. If you're a carib grad, then it goes nowhere. PD's will know your entire 3rd and 4th year were done in the US (or perhaps the UK) and it will be listed on your transcript. If you're not from the carib, then you can consider listing it as work experience. However, all this is moot, since the most important thing will be an LOR from the people you worked with. if that's there, then PD's will see it.

#4 - Grants would be listed in the text of the research section.

Hi,

I volunteered to work with some of my attendings in order to do research and publish. These were attendings at my school and so I didn't get paid nor did I have an official title (other than student). Will it be strange if I leave the research experience blank, even though I have publications.

Hi,

I volunteered to work with some of my attendings in order to do research and publish. These were attendings at my school and so I didn't get paid nor did I have an official title (other than student). Will it be strange if I leave the research experience blank, even though I have publications.

You can list a "volunteer research" position under research.

for the description should i describe each research project individually? i worked on multiple projects with the same attending. thanks for your help programdirector.

for the description should i describe each research project individually? i worked on multiple projects with the same attending. thanks for your help programdirector.

I am also an applicant for Match 2010, but this is what I did -

under each mentor/lab, I wrote these were the the research projects I did 1. the effect of ..... 2. comparative evaluation between ..... 3. Efficacy of .....
I then gave the status of where they stood currently i.e. ongoing, submitted or published.

I did this as I have worked with 4 different mentors (and with two of them I did multiple papers), so putting each project separately would unduly elongate my CV.

But I think it would still be good if you do it this way, even with 1 mentor/lab. Putting it differently, unless they were completely different methodologies (one a lab based study, and one entirely clinical/population based), would not look too good in my opinion.

Look for other opinions as well.