Help with Finalizing School List for a Reapplicant a Few Years Out of Undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meepdog

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys,

I'm working on finalizing my school list and would love any feedback! Here's my summary:

sGPA: 3.4, cGPA: 3.6

MCAT: 510 (126, 128, 127, 129), not sure if it matters but expired MCAT wass 32 (10, 11, 11). I did most of my prep in a rural village without electricity or internet so I couldn't use Anki or online tools for the most part, and honestly think I could've done better if this hadn't been the case, but am not sure how to (or whether to) convey this on my app.

Michigan resident, graduated from Emory, ORM

Clinical: around 1,000 hours as a CNA (paid), skilled nursing so mostly elderly but we had some residents with more unusual situations as well.

Research: 2.5 years in lab, 2 poster presentations

Shadowing: 100 hours anesthesiologist, 40 hours orthopedic surgeon

Non-clinical volunteering: There's a lot of overlap here with other ECs, but here we go
1 year Americorps volunteer working with undeserved rural and urban populations on both health-related and non-health-related projects
2 years Peace Corps volunteer in health sector working directly with Malaria and HIV
1 year (current) Peace Corps extendee working with NGO in heath sector. I've already started this, and will therefore be putting it on my app, but won't be done until around the end of the cycle.

Other ECs:
2 years director of music group in undergrad
2 years RA
4 years at summer camp for low-income children, 2 as health officer and 2 as counselor

Other important stuff:
I was a Bio/Music double major. For music, I took 4 years of lessons in undergrad and finished with a senior recital. I was also in a number of large and small ensembles.

So based on my app being pretty service-focused, here's my school list. I'm pretty set on MD unless you guys really think I should consider DO. Would love to cut this list down by a few schools if possible, maybe add some that would make a great fit.

IS:
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Oakland
Michigan State
Central Michigan

OOS:
Emory (alma mater)
Dartmouth
Ohio State
University of Rochester
Tulane
Rosalin Franklin
Georgetown
Loyola
Rush
Drexel
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Vermont
University of Alabama
University of Colorado
Thomas Jefferson
University of Arizona
Wright State

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Alabama accepts few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Temple
Creighton

Alabama accepts few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Temple
Creighton
Awesome thank you! I'll look at these other schools

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro: any ideas on schools? ECs are killer but stats are mediocre for MD, even low-ish. Solid for DO.

Your service credentials are outstanding. I've never seen an SDNer with both Peace Corps and Americorps service. Hence, despite the 3.4 sGPA, I recommend:

BU (maybe)
U Cincy (maybe)
Hofstra
U Toledo
U IA
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B and all other MI schools
Seton Hall
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
WVU
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Great advi
Your service credentials are outstanding. I've never seen an SDNer with both Peace Corps and Americorps service. Hence, despite the 3.4 sGPA, I recommend:

BU (maybe)
U Cincy (maybe)
Hofstra
U Toledo
U IA
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B and all other MI schools
Seton Hall
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
WVU
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.
Great advice, much appreciated. I will look through these as well.

Reactions: 1 user