Help with im ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djdoc2be

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
fourth year needing advice regarding certain im programs. if anyone has any pros and cons on the following programs, cornell, duke, unc, northwestern, case western, uva, washu, and university of washington. would appreciate any advice. Thanks again and best luck during the match to all the fourth years.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation. However, I'm mainly looking at northeastern schools. All the schools you listed are great. I'm sure you've heard this all before, but it depends on what you're looking for in an IM program. The only school on your list I can speak on is Cornell (the only one on your list I applied to). I absolutely loved the place. But I'm not too crazy about New York City. I'm planning to go into Cardio, so going to Cornell would be a big plus.

My impression of the other schools is entirely based on word of mouth:

Duke: great program, probably more "old school" than the rest, but good training.

UNC: also a great program especially if you plan to stay in the north carolina area. Relatively relaxed atmosphere.

Northwestern: great hospital. Not sure about the training.

Case Western: superb training, but don't go there expecting to get a GI or Cards spot.

I'm not sure about UVA, WashU & UWash.

You'll probably be happy at any one of these places. It's all about the vibe you got during your interview and what you want to get out of the program. Good Luck

Taurces

If you've interviewed, you probably know the most but I have heard malignant things about the IM program at Duke. But it is rumor or maybe just "old school".

I am a cluless preclinical student. I am wondering what does it take to match into these programs?