• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Help with interview question

Bladerunner12

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
    Hi guys
    I have this problem that I dont know how to explain in the best way a W in biochemystry. Dont get me wrong the class was very interesting its just that I took this class with a professor that if you didnt write exactly what he wanted in the questions he would give you 2 out of 10 points. I would have passed the class with a C but since I dont have the best of all GPAs with a 3.60 it would drop my average.I decided to take my first W ever.Well since I cant say that it was the professors fault, could I hear some sugestions

Thanks in advance :)

Mephisto

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Dec 18, 2004
      Bladerunner12 said:
      Hi guys
      I have this problem that I dont know how to explain in the best way a W in biochemystry. Dont get me wrong the class was very interesting its just that I took this class with a professor that if you didnt write exactly what he wanted in the questions he would give you 2 out of 10 points. I would have passed the class with a C but since I dont have the best of all GPAs with a 3.60 it would drop my average.I decided to take my first W ever.Well since I cant say that it was the professors fault, could I hear some sugestions

Thanks in advance :)

I would talk about how you simply took on too much for the semester with this course and your other courses and that something had to give. You made this decision after careful contemplation and decided that you needed to concentrate on your other classes more (come up with a compelling reason why you put those other classes above biochem) and say that you spoke to your advisors and your professor and everyone agreed that it was best to take the W. Then emphasize how the rest of the semester went well with the other classes. And how this experience taught you that you have to recognize your limits and understand that you can't do everything. Further, it taught you how to lean on your support network in times of stress and you come out of the semester knowing yourself and your tolerance level better. And that when this type of stress comes up in med school, you're now better prepared to deal with it.

I think some of the above should help and is a very mature and honest answer to why many students take a W. No need to freak out about one W. I doubt you'll even be asked about it. I would recommend however that you retake the course at some point (with another professor, if possible) and ace it to show them that you can do it. I really hope this all helps.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.