Help with Literature Search Parameters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eudaimonPsyD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers, I am needing a little assistance since I feel I have been stuck in a perpetual brain fart for the past three days. I am looking into research regarding taking another person's perspective; I guess more specifically, having participants "pretend" to be someone else or "take on the mindset" of someone else and respond to questions/protocols as such. I am having a hard time with finding concise key words I can use to conduct a literature search successfully. I thought I would put it out there for suggestions. Any ideas are much appreciated, I will give all of them a try!

Members don't see this ad.

"taking the part of the other" is how sociologists term it; try searching soc lit, maybe. Goffman and Mead wrote often on this topic.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe "perspective-taking"? This ability in kids is called "Theory of Mind", right? Maybe there have been upward applications of that concept to adults.

Maybe "perspective-taking"? This ability in kids is called "Theory of Mind", right? Maybe there have been upward applications of that concept to adults.

There is indeed an adult ToM literature, with I believe at least a portion of it focusing on SMI (and schizophrenia in particular). Some of it might apply to the OP's post, although I haven't reviewed it enough personally to know.