rigal9

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm a post-bac student, who recently completed all the premed science work (decent GPA 3.7) and took the MCAT (also decent 32Q) and I'm applying to schools. I'm feeling OK about it, although I just got scolded from an admissions woman at Univ of Maryland for taking my coursework at a community college. After all this hard work, it feels pretty bad to hear that. Anyway, I haven't taken any math beyond precalc. What exactly does "college math" mean and how many quarters/semesters has the average applicant taken?

With no premed advisor, it's pretty tough to navigate all this. Thanks for any help.

About the Ads

cbrons

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Jungle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
no school in my state requires or recommends any type of math. In fact, I think the vast majority of schools do not list any requirements nor recommendations as far as math goes.

math 101 and high school math was good enough for me.

although I do have to take a stats course run through the psych department because that is my major.

brianmartin

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Most schools do not require calc, or statistics. Therefore one should look in the MSAR to see if the schools you want require anything specific. Otherwise, don't torture yourself by taking calculus if you don't need to.

Typically, "college math" means something like MTH 111, and many schools require 1 quarter or 1 semester.

Many schools recommend, but do not require an intro Statistics class.

Take Calculus only if you enjoy it, or want to apply to schools requiring calculus (there are only like ~ 10 of them)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.