Quantcast

Help with math requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rigal9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm a post-bac student, who recently completed all the premed science work (decent GPA 3.7) and took the MCAT (also decent 32Q) and I'm applying to schools. I'm feeling OK about it, although I just got scolded from an admissions woman at Univ of Maryland for taking my coursework at a community college. After all this hard work, it feels pretty bad to hear that. Anyway, I haven't taken any math beyond precalc. What exactly does "college math" mean and how many quarters/semesters has the average applicant taken?

With no premed advisor, it's pretty tough to navigate all this. Thanks for any help.

MilkmanAl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the general requirements are 1 semester of calculus and introductory statistics, but I seem to remember several schools requiring 2 semesters of calc. "College math" starts at precalculus, I think, but I'm definitely not sure about that.

cbrons

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
no school in my state requires or recommends any type of math. In fact, I think the vast majority of schools do not list any requirements nor recommendations as far as math goes.

math 101 and high school math was good enough for me.

although I do have to take a stats course run through the psych department because that is my major.

brianmartin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools do not require calc, or statistics. Therefore one should look in the MSAR to see if the schools you want require anything specific. Otherwise, don't torture yourself by taking calculus if you don't need to.

Typically, "college math" means something like MTH 111, and many schools require 1 quarter or 1 semester.

Many schools recommend, but do not require an intro Statistics class.

Take Calculus only if you enjoy it, or want to apply to schools requiring calculus (there are only like ~ 10 of them)