Help with my MD school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourandtwo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is progressing well on their AMCAS / AACOMAS. Can I get you guys to help me out on my school list? I am Asian, a non-trad, and I am a resident of California

Here are the DO schools that I have applied to:
A.T. Still
Arizona COM
Campbell University
Chicago COM
DMU COM
LECOM
Nova
Pacific Northwest COM
Philadelphia COM
Rocky Vista- CO &Utah
Touro-NY, NV, &CA
WesternU- Pomona & Oregon

MD Schools I am thinking of applying to:
All CA schools (although I'm strapped on $ so if you can help me eliminate...)
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Howard
Ros Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Tulane
Boston
Tufts
Wake Forest
Creighton
Dartmouth
Albany
New York Medical
Hofstra
Rochester
Drexel
Toledo
Jefferson Kimmel
Brown
Commonwealth

If you can help me eliminate or add, that would be great! Thanks for reading guys :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for all DO schools and should receive several interviews from your list.
From your MD list you can eliminate Howard which strongly prefers URM. Boston U, Tufts, Dartmouth, Rochester and Brown are all reaches. Toledo accepts few non residents with your stats. Schools you could add include:
Quinnipiac
Temple
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis

You are competitive for all DO schools and should receive several interviews from your list.
From your MD list you can eliminate Howard which strongly prefers URM. Boston U, Tufts, Dartmouth, Rochester and Brown are all reaches. Toledo accepts few non residents with your stats. Schools you could add include:
Quinnipiac
Temple
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis

Awesome! Thank you, do you know which schools will consider LGBT as URM?

Do you still advise me to apply to all CA schools? I strongly prefer to stay in CA, to me, it's more important than DO VS MD

Since you think I'm gonna be more competitive in DO schools do you think I should just apply to all DO schools and less MD schools?

By the way, this is out of the scope for this thread but I thought you might have something to say about it. I emailed my boss from when I was a clinical research analyst and he wrote that I worked for him from March 2011-April 2012. The program director from my time in Ghana claimed I was there from June 2011- august 2011. Now, as you can see these two dates overlap, so one person is wrong, probably the person in Ghana. However I didn't catch this mistake on my AACOMAS, and I've already submitted my application. I also feel that even if I did catch the mistake on time, I wouldn't know how to find out when I was there for sure. How do you think this will play out? Will adcoms simply question me later and I can explain? Or will they red flag it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For CA: Are you Adventist (or deeply devout and never drink or have sexual behavior outside of marriage)? If not, delete Loma Linda, I cannot recommend Northstate, If you have no connection to the IE, chances at UCR are very slim.
You can delete USC and Stanford unless there something significant you haven't mentioned.
You are a good candidate for both Western and Touro.

For CA: Are you Adventist (or deeply devout and never drink or have sexual behavior outside of marriage)? If not, delete Loma Linda, I cannot recommend Northstate, If you have no connection to the IE, chances at UCR are very slim.
You can delete USC and Stanford unless there something significant you haven't mentioned.

Gotcha. I am from the IE, so that leaves UCR, UCI, UCD, UCSD, UCLA (both of them) and UCSF?

Hmmm I forgot to mention I got my masters in public health from UCLA, and that I am active in my LGBT community. Not sure if that still disqualifies me for USC?

Hmmm I forgot to mention I got my masters in public health from UCLA, and that I am active in my LGBT community. Not sure if that still disqualifies me for USC?

Your MCAT is perilously close to the 10th percentile but historically they do have a strong commitment to public health.

I suggest:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Loyola
WVU
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
UCD
UCI
UCR
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is progressing well on their AMCAS / AACOMAS. Can I get you guys to help me out on my school list? I am Asian, a non-trad, and I am a resident of California

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.56 ;
sGPA: 3.68
MCAT: 507: 128/124/125/130

I know I have a very strong and compelling personal statement, and I am extremely proud of it :)

Clinical Experiences:
Hospital Clinical Volunteer (120 hours)
Camp leader for children with life threatening illnesses (90 hours)
Rural medical clinic & leprosy village in Africa (320 hours)
Shadowing (40 hours): 1 DO doctor so far

Research Experiences (no publications):
Undergraduate Researcher (480 hours)
Clinical Research Analyst (2800 hours)

Extracurriculars:

Queers for public health
(20 hours): major contributing member
Environmental Health and Safety Consultant (4000 hours)
Graduate TA (240 hours)
STEM pipeline camp teaching fellow (60 hours)
Tutoring students with learning disabilities (1872 hours)
Sorority (1400 hours): Vice President of Academic Affairs
Chinese Students Association (2000 hours): Vice President
Hobbies (4000 hours): acroyogi, slackliner (aka tight roping), rock climber, triathlete
Piano player for church & nursing home (5000 hours)

Here are the DO schools that I have applied to:
A.T. Still
Arizona COM
Campbell University
Chicago COM
DMU COM
LECOM
Nova
Pacific Northwest COM
Philadelphia COM
Rocky Vista- CO &Utah
Touro-NY, NV, &CA
WesternU- Pomona & Oregon

MD Schools I am thinking of applying to:
All CA schools (although I'm strapped on $ so if you can help me eliminate...)
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Howard
Ros Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Tulane
Boston
Tufts
Wake Forest
Creighton
Dartmouth
Albany
New York Medical
Hofstra
Rochester
Drexel
Toledo
Jefferson Kimmel
Brown
Commonwealth

If you can help me eliminate or add, that would be great! Thanks for reading guys :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Loyola
WVU
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
UCD
UCI
UCR
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
Maybe I'm reading their prereq requirements incorrectly, do they heave a religions class prereqs requirement?

Admissions Requirements | LLU School of Medicine

Maybe I'm reading their prereq requirements incorrectly, do they heave a religions class prereqs requirement?
Their mission is to train physicians to serve Christ: "We seek applicants who have demonstrated by life experiences that their own personal mission is consistent with ours and who wish to join us in continuing the “healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ to make man whole."
Admissions | LLU School of Medicine

Their student handbook restricts students from drinking and having sexual relations outside of marriage (among other things).
Although their target is Adventists they do interview devout students of other faiths toward the end of the cycle.

Ummm... might want to check some of your hours you're claiming for your EC's, there. You claimed you were doing some sort of activity for over 20,000 hours, not including going to school etc. That's like over five years of 12 hours a day, every day. Are you like forty?

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 1 user