Help with narrowing school list, 3.97 and 516 MCAT with 125 CP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUJess18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, I am having trouble formulating a school list due to my unbalanced MCAT and my unranked state school undergrad. Money is an issue for me, so I really want to keep my list around 20 or less. Here are my stats:

Year in school: Rising senior
Biology major, Chemistry and Philosophy minors

MCAT: 516 (125(!)/131/128/132)

GPA: 3.97

Research: 1500 hours by the end of my undergrad career, worked in the same lab for two years now and have worked on multiple projects. Currently working on an NIH-funded grant that should be published in the next year. Have one poster at my undergrad’s conference and one poster (fourth author) at a national conference (not presented by me)

Volunteering (clinical): 60 hours as a patient greeter/guide in major hospital

Volunteering (nonclinical): 150 hours at animal shelter over the course of a year, 50 hours at senior center over a summer, 30 hours as tutor in student-athlete study hall (one semester), 30 hours as a debate tournament judge (annually), 30 hours at middle-school sports camp for girls

Shadowing: 60 hours, 52 with a neurologist over the course of a year and a half, 8 with a primary care physician

Extracurriculars: Three-sport division one athlete (cross country, indoor track, outdoor track) with multiple conference accolades including several scoring finishes and podium finishes, winner of a major academic conference award only given to one person in the sport that year, Phi Eta Sigma honor society, Student Athlete Advisory Committee representative

Employment History: 600 hours in patient transporter at inner-city hospital over summer and winter breaks, 400 hours as running store employee over summer break after freshman year

Immediate family members in medicine: Yes, older sister (attended KU)

Interested in practicing in an urban setting and pursuing joint MD/MPH

Going off of Wedgedawg's system, I found that if applying to 20 schools, I should apply to 6 category 1, 6 category 2, 5 category 3, 3 category 4-7.

Here's what I have:

Category 1: WUSTL (already paid for, long shot but some from my UG have gotten interviews), Penn, Duke, Harvard, Yale, Vandy (since they screen secondaries why not)

Category 2: Michigan, Northwestern, Baylor, Mayo, Case, Emory

Category 3: Ohio State, Einstein, Hofstra?, UVA?

Category 4-7: Mizzou (already paid for), KU(already paid for), Wisconsin, Iowa, Miami, SLU (already paid for), Creighton, BU?

I'm worried this may be too top-heavy. Let me know if you have any suggestions on narrowing down the list or see any red flags.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not recommend Baylor since they have a heavy in-state bias. Also would not recommend UVA since you are below their median MCAT and many OOS public schools like their OOS applicants to be above the median. Mayo is a very competitive program and only matriculates ~40-50 students and you are 3-4 points below the median MCATS for Vandy and Northwestern -- however if you are considering these as "reaches" then it is always good to have some reaches on a list. I'm sure you know that Harvard, Duke, Penn, and Yale are extremely competitive schools, but I just want to point it out in case you are not aware. Considering all of this, I think you could add some more mid-tiers:

USC-Keck
Cincinnati
Dartmouth
Jefferson
Georgetown
BU

It looks like you already have your state schools on the list so if you add a few of the above you should be all set!

Also, I believe Wisconsin and Iowa show heavy in-state biases as well.