Help with options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underdogepats

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN! This is my first post here so bear with me.

I'm currently in the second trimester of my sophomore year, and I'd like your input on my options.
To be frank, I've been very lazy and unmotivated until now. My stats are currently:
cGPA: 3.02
sGPA: 2.55

It's low, but I'm confident that I can bring my grades up tremendously. I'll just say that certain experiences over this last winter break have given me a newfound and sustainable motivation to succeed.
In the best case scenario (I get straight A's from now on), my stats will be:
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.20

In addition, I'm currently involved in:
AMSA (Fall 2012-now)
Volunteering at a hospital (Summer 2013 with 100 hours)(also an activity I've carried on through high school)
Circle K (Fall 2013-now)
Community service (January 2013-now)
Shadowed an MD (Summer 2013 with 80 hours)

By the end of my junior year, I'm planning to continue most of my current activities and more within the next month:
A leadership position in AMSA
Starting a Phi Delta Epsilon chapter at my school
Researching with a nearby PI
Shadowing a local DO

I'm going to be taking the 2015 MCAT, but I'm already preparing and I expect a score that is above average with the time I'm investing over the next year in this.

My question to you is this. Are MD admissions off the table? Am I competitive for DO? Will I need some post-bacc work? I'm going to be applying for the entering class of Fall 2016.

Note: I know that this entire thread is speculative, so please keep that in mind. Responses geared towards my projected statistics are what I'm looking for. I know that with my current stats I'm toast.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends upon what state you live in. A 3.2 GPA is pretty much a death knell, but if you indeed ace everything from here on in, then I think some schools will be interested in you, especially combined with an above avg MCAT score. Otherwise, you'll be fine for DO programs. Good luck!

My question to you is this. Are MD admissions off the table? Am I competitive for DO? Will I need some post-bacc work? I'm going to be applying for the entering class of Fall 2016.

Note: I know that this entire thread is speculative, so please keep that in mind. Responses geared towards my projected statistics are what I'm looking for. I know that with my current stats I'm toast.

Thank you![/quote]