Help with parents' occupation on applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nymeria0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question. Do medical schools compare what you put for your parents' occupations on your applications to your FAFSA application? My mom works as a nanny and gets paid under the table, so I'm not sure I should indicate her occupation on my applications. Unfortunately, I have already mentioned that she works on my primary application. I don't want to get her in trouble, and I'm not sure what to do....

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a quick question. Do medical schools compare what you put for your parents' occupations on your applications to your FAFSA application? My mom works as a nanny and gets paid under the table, so I'm not sure I should indicate her occupation on my applications. Unfortunately, I have already mentioned that she works on my primary application. I don't want to get her in trouble, and I'm not sure what to do....

Thanks for the help.

OH NO, if you lie they are going to turn her into the IRS :slap:

No sure why you listed her employed, but not a biggie. Nobody is going to compare your FAFSA to your application, two entirely different groups of people.

As for what to put, I'd probably just put homemaker and leave it at that.

Thanks for the help.

"She was laid off."

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. =) I shouldn't have listed her as employed in the first place, but that wasn't foremost on my mind when filling out my application, so it slipped. Oops.

Why is she not paying taxes? It's not difficult to file and there shouldn't be much taken out of her paycheck if she is in a low income bracket.

I think it's at the behest of her employers (who are also my parents' friends). Apparently those with child care providers have to pay a "nanny tax." The employers are supposed to pay employment taxes, but this is apparently pretty complicated, and a lot of people forego it. They pay her in cash. I guess they are supposed to withhold her share of social security and medical taxes or else pay her share themselves. I think she would get them in trouble were she to file. It's a complicated situation.

I think it's at the behest of her employers (who are also my parents' friends). Apparently those with child care providers have to pay a "nanny tax." The employers are supposed to pay employment taxes, but this is apparently pretty complicated, and a lot of people forego it. They pay her in cash. I guess they are supposed to withhold her share of social security and medical taxes or else pay her share themselves. I think she would get them in trouble were she to file. It's a complicated situation.

It is something you should probably not be talking about on a public forum then, your IP address is freely available to the IRS ~.~