1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Help With Private Loans

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by DATkilla, Mar 14, 2007.

1. DATkilla

DATkilla Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Was anyone in dental school now able to get private loans without a co-signer and which loans were they? I have heard about the Graduate MEFA loan in MA, Dental Access Loan, and Signature Loan by Sallie Mae and I am debating which to apply for. Please any advice in this area will be appreciated.

2. apli

apli Junior Member

Dental Student
    Hi,
    Most of the lenders give only the range of interest rates. Since its mainly based on the credit history of co-signee and the borrower. So I guess its hard to figure out which one turns out to be the right one.

3. Doctor Chief

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    The best thing to do is compare the different private lenders out there, which can be done at http://www.finaid.org/loans/privatestudentloans.phtml
    Most of the rates are very similar but do a little research and pick one that you think is best.
    I personally used Think Financial, because they are local, but shop around and decide for yourself. All the rates on these loans are going to be pretty much the same. As for co-signers, all the private student loans are credit based. So you need to decide if your credit is good enough to get approved without a co-signer or if you will need one. If you don't go with a cosigner, you need to have pretty good credit and you also need to have at least a 2 year work history. You can find out more information about a Think loan at http://www.thinkfinancial.com . Good Luck.