Help with rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kb7878kb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some insight into my rank list. I am planning on a career in GI.
1. Duke
2. U of Michigan
3. Northwestern
4. U of Chicago
5. Vanderbilt
6. UNC Chapel Hill
7. UCSD
8. Pitt
9. Mayo Clinic
10. UTSW
11. Emory
Specifically, I am having difficulty determining whether to rank Northwestern or U of Chicago higher, Vanderbilt vs. UNC higher.
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

in terms of GI, u of c would be a better choice as it has a better GI program; however, it depends on your personality. ppl are much more social at NW and way more academic and un-social (is that a word) at chicago.
both, of course, would be great choices

Thanks for the response. I agree with what you stated above. I thought the residents seemed far happier at NW and NW is in a more desirable area of the city (in terms of personal living, not patient population). They also seemed more social at NW. I know that these are complete generalizations based on a few hours of interaction but that is essentially the information I have available on which to base this decision. So I was wondering if others interviewing at these places (or residents at these places) feel like this is an inaccurate depiction and had a different experience. I was also wondering if these programs are felt to be comparable or whether U of Chicago has a better reputation. Thanks again!

Agree that U of Chicago has a fantastic GI fellowship program. Would that necessarily translate to a superior GI match (outside of matching internally at U of Chicago) versus training at NU, who knows. Probably somewhat is what I would guess, but certainly not enough to outweigh the vastly different cultures of clinical training between these two programs. Vanderbilt vs UNC is a wash. You'll find people who vouch for one or the other, but reality is that both are very good programs in the south with grossly similar academic prestige, and location comes into play here.