Help with Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cks1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help regarding what kind of research I should do and what is research like? One doctor told me I will get more variety in Internal Medicine then I like GI for research just for learning. Is GI research competitive? Right now I am studying for Step 1. But my friend's dad who is also a doctor, said I should research now because once I am in clinicals I won't have time. I have No research experience and I want to get in at a teaching based hospital.

Please help I want to know how is Internal Medicine like? (Salary working in hospital, Is the competitiveness decreased when you have research experience, do the internist have conference everyday as part of there daily routine.) After graduating I want to residency in General Internal medicine no fellowship.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're an MSI, then typically students tend to take on small research projects the summer between MSI and MSII. It usually is difficult to do research during clinicals - unless your program has some sort of dedicated time for scholarly endeavors or something along those lines (which might be around MS4). Salaries and day to day will vary depending on the hospital type (academic, community, private, etc). Research usually doesn't decrease your competitiveness in any residency (unless you have very extensive research experience - in which case programs running out of community hospitals might look at you unfavorably).

Reactions: 1 user
If you're an MSI, then typically students tend to take on small research projects the summer between MSI and MSII. It usually is difficult to do research during clinicals - unless your program has some sort of dedicated time for scholarly endeavors or something along those lines (which might be around MS4). Salaries and day to day will vary depending on the hospital type (academic, community, private, etc). Research usually doesn't decrease your competitiveness in any residency (unless you have very extensive research experience - in which case programs running out of community hospitals might look at you unfavorably).

Thank you for answering!

Another question I have is what is best specialty for a woman? My fiance is in Business Administration . I like Internal Medicine (Hospitalist).
How would Emergency Medicine & Anesthesiology be like?

Thank you for answering!

Another question I have is what is best specialty for a woman? My fiance is in Business Administration . I like Internal Medicine (Hospitalist).
How would Emergency Medicine & Anesthesiology be like?

Are you talking about life style specialties? I cannot say what specialty is best for a woman - that will really depend on personality. Though OB/Gyn tends to be female heavy from what I've seen. Emergency medicine seems cool (I haven't rotated in it yet) though you will definitely have a more 'hectic' schedule with EM than Anesthesiology. Anesthesiology is usually what is referred to as a "lifestyle" specialty - that is you tend to be able to work reasonable hrs and be well compensated. Of course if you're still a pre-med keep your options open - you never know what might really spark your interests during clinicals!

Reactions: 1 user