Help with research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avila724

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
put together a CV with any work/research experience you have, and list the classes you've taken and the techniques you used in them. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Obviously, you can't put anything on your resume for research experience if you don't have any... And if those PIs want previous experience, tough luck.

However, there are plenty of labs out there who love training students from the ground up in their style and giving them an opportunity to really grow. Keep looking, and you will find a great place for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
At my college you can just approach a professor and if your interests match theirs then they will be more than happy to help you out and even let you do a lot of the work. They'll teach you what you need to know and everything. Maybe try approaching a professor you know. I'm not sure what school you attend so that may not be possible. Just a suggestion though.

Hi guys, this is my first post so bear with me. So I emailed a few professors at the university near my house hoping to get a spot in their lab for the summer. A couple have emailed me back asking for a resume or CV. I'm only a freshman in college I don't have much to put forth other than my high school stuff. One asked to list previous research and/or familiarity with particular techniques. What do I do? I've never done research before and the only techniques I know are the ones from my general bio and chem labs. Thanks.

You can list the techniques you've done in your class labs (gel electrophoresis, enzyme assays, cell cultures, distillation, gas chrom, ir, etc). I don't think the profs would expect you to know a lot of techniques, but as long as they see you have some exposure to being in the lab environment and working with the scientific method, they should consider you.

Good luck with the research position!

I was lucky enough to get into a lab during senior year of high school without too much experience. It of course depends on the main research topics of the lab, but almost anyone can run PCR/electrophoresis/etc... Don't worry about your lack of experience, they can teach you. If you have a descent personality and are a good student you will make it in (I hope). It can really pay off to have the lab experience as my own was mentioned several times during my medical school interviews.

Depending on how big of a research university you go to, you really shouldn't have too much trouble finding a prof to help you out here. If a professor insists on you having some experience before he lets you work in the lab, it understandable, and really not a big deal... just ask someone else. If you ask enough, you should be able to find someone nice enough to let you get in their lab.

Hi guys, this is my first post so bear with me. So I emailed a few professors at the university near my house hoping to get a spot in their lab for the summer. A couple have emailed me back asking for a resume or CV. I'm only a freshman in college I don't have much to put forth other than my high school stuff. One asked to list previous research and/or familiarity with particular techniques. What do I do? I've never done research before and the only techniques I know are the ones from my general bio and chem labs. Thanks.

I'm assuming by your post that you go to school outside your hometown and want to do summer research at the university nearer your house? In that case, I would try asking friends of yours who maybe go to that university and know a professor there whose lab you could work in. In my lab, all of our summer workers are either siblings of past undergrads who worked in the lab (some are in high school and have absolutely no experience coming in!) or family friends of the PI. Knowing a friend of a friend can be extremely useful :) Good luck, I hope you find something!

I'm new here, but I have worked in two somewhat un-related labs (one academic for thesis work etc, one as a tech. at a medical research center) and have a word of advice (I think the others have given you some good pointers also). In my experience, one of the best things you can do if you haven't already is check the PI/lab's website and see if there are links to any of the papers they have published recently so that you can start getting a better feel for what that lab's research is all about and have something to contribute in lab meetings or in a preliminary discussion with the PI. You don't have to be an expert, but I think it is a great way to figure out which ongoing projects might interest you, see what kinds of techniques you will be learning, and demonstrate initiative, etc. It seems to go over well with the PIs and professors I know, anyway. That's my two cents. Good luck!

Edit: In terms of the CV, as others have said, most of them know that you have to start somewhere. Do mention any techniques you have learned in classroom labs, as every little bit helps. Also, I would imagine that the fact that you are only a freshman could be to your advantage, as you would have plenty of time to master the techniques and become a valuable member of the lab.