Help with Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shelbipeters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT while very sick because I couldn't cancel and got 497.. by then I had already submitted my application but withdrew it after. Now I retook and got a 503 (127/123/126/127) but I was scoring 513 on all of my practice exams for AAMC so I decided to take a couple months and study more to retake a third time. I wanted to focus on my CARS score because it was pretty low and I ready every day using kaplan, AAMC, and KA. I took my exam and felt decent about it only to find out my score yesterday was a 502 (127/121/126/128). Now I have my AAMC application submitted but I know it looks really bad to go from a 503 to a 502 and my CARS scores are really limiting my application. Its already August so I need advice to if I should retake it in September and risk a late application or if I should withdraw and start a masters program in the spring and reapply next cycle?
I have research and presentations, a lot of volunteer work, medical scribe for 2 years, shadowing from 5 different specialties, Tridelta sorority with philanthropic work etc

Also additional advice on how to raise my CARS score because I previously read everyday using KA, Kaplan and AAMC and then spend extra days dissecting why I missed questions and it hasn't seemed to help. My CARS scores on my practice exams were always 125-127

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Curious to see what others have to say, as I am in the same boat :(. Scored a 506 w/ 121 CARS this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Curious to see what others have to say, as I am in the same boat :(. Scored a 506 w/ 121 CARS this summer.
I have been reading the ways schools I applied to take mcat scores and a decent amount said they take the highest scoring mcat but no requirements in the individual sections. I also requested a rescroee because my practice exam cars were so much higher. Idk if that helps

I have been reading the ways schools I applied to take mcat scores and a decent amount said they take the highest scoring mcat but no requirements in the individual sections. I also requested a rescroee because my practice exam cars were so much higher. Idk if that helps
Okay, let me know what happens from the rescore! ;)

To be honest, cramming yet another MCAT into September probably won't yield a very good score or look very good to adcoms. If you want to get serious about retaking the MCAT, you should set aside maybe 2-3 months at least to prepare. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time, effort, and money.

A master's program might look nice, but won't be able to compensate for a low MCAT score. If attending a MD school is your ambition, a 502 will be an uphill battle. But at the end of the day, the MCAT is just a cutoff so it's not the end of the world!

As for CARS, keep on reviewing practice exams in detail. Both the questions you missed and got right. When you read a passage, skim it just to get an idea of the subject, argument, etc. Then when you go to the questions, go back to the passage and look for the answer specifically.

Consider applying to some DO schools! They typically expect much lower MCAT scores, and it looks like you're doing pretty well as far as research and extracurriculars go. Just keep your GPA up and I'm betting you can find a DO school you're happy with at the very least.

Best of luck!