Help With School List, 3.48 cGPA 32O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenzylAcetate

Just Peachy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: bolded points for summary

Illinois resident and re-applicant. Applied MD only for class of 2016 and got no acceptances or interviews. Looking for help trimming down my school list.

Biomedical Engineering Major currently doing an informal post bacc to bring up my science GPA.

cGPA - currently 3.48 should be ~3.55 by time of application
sGPA - currently 3.24 should be ~3.35 by time of application

AACOMAS GPAs will be slightly higher, replacing one 4 credit D with an A-.

32 O MCAT two 11s and a 10 in BS. Taken May 2011, will I need to retake for C/O 2018?

ECs

-Summer of industry research which ended in third author on a patent
-Summer of hospital work (300+ hours)
-Engineering design course building medical devices for implementation in rural Africa
-Engineering design course building personalized medical device for bi-lateral amputee
-20 hours of physician shadowing (MD) planning to shadow a DO in the near future
-4 year commitment to club sport which required 8 hours or so a week, every week of undergrad
-200 hrs ER volunteering (4hr/wk for 1 year) on going
-200 hrs general hospital volunteering, sitting with dementia and Alzheimer's patients (4hr/wk for 1 year) on going

School List

I just took the 2010-2011 school selector and copied the two lowest categories of MD schools which are near my stats. Looking for some help in trimming away schools which wont be worth my time for whatever reason. Also willing to take suggestions for other schools.

D.O.

TCOM - University of North Texas Health Science Center
Michigan State University College of Medicine
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Des Moines University
LECOM Bradenton

MD

University of Miami
University of Iowa
St. Louis University
Wake Forest
Penn State
University of Wisconsin
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
University of Maryland
Creighton
Albany
Oregon Health and Science University
Jefferson
University of Vermont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Loma Linda
Loyola
University at Buffalo
University of Toledo
Temple
West Virginia University
George Washington University
Rush
University of Illinois
University of Louisville
Tulane
New York Medical College
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth
University of North Dakota
Southern Illinois
University of Missouri

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Benzyl, sorry to hear you didn't make it last cycle. You seem to be going about reapplying the right way though. You should catch some acceptances from those DOs for sure. Your MCAT should be valid at most all schools, so no need to retake. Continue with the ECs you've listed.

As for cutting.. Miami I see as one but I am not the most educated on school lists. Anywhere where the MCAT average is above yours I would say don't fool with, cause you need a place where your MCAT is strong to compensate for the GPA.

You should be good for the DO schools though so I'd expect an acceptance. Don't sweat the cycle! No need for stress that changes nothing.

Background: bolded points for summary

Illinois resident and re-applicant. Applied MD only for class of 2016 and got no acceptances or interviews. Looking for help trimming down my school list.

Biomedical Engineering Major currently doing an informal post bacc to bring up my science GPA.

cGPA - currently 3.48 should be ~3.55 by time of application
sGPA - currently 3.24 should be ~3.35 by time of application

AACOMAS GPAs will be slightly higher, replacing one 4 credit D with an A-.

32 O MCAT two 11s and a 10 in BS. Taken May 2011, will I need to retake for C/O 2018?

ECs

-Engineering design course building medical devices for implementation in rural Africa
-Engineering design course building personalized medical device for bi-lateral amputee
-20 hours of physician shadowing (MD) planning to shadow a DO in the near future
-4 year commitment to club sport which required 8 hours or so a week, every week of undergrad
-200 hrs general hospital volunteering, sitting with dementia and Alzheimer's patients (4hr/wk for 1 year) on going

School List

I just took the 2010-2011 school selector and copied the two lowest categories of MD schools which are near my stats. Looking for some help in trimming away schools which wont be worth my time for whatever reason. Also willing to take suggestions for other schools.

D.O.

Des Moines University
LECOM Bradenton

MD

University of Miami
University of Iowa
St. Louis University
Wake Forest
Penn State
University of Wisconsin
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
University of Maryland
Creighton
Albany
Jefferson
University of Vermont
Loma Linda
Loyola
University at Buffalo
University of Toledo
Temple
West Virginia University
Rush
University of Illinois
University of Louisville
Tulane
New York Medical College
Drexel
Virginia Commonwealth
Southern Illinois
University of Missouri
You don't meet Oregon's OOS minimum GPA requirement of 3.65.
North Dakota's formula for selection includes high points for attending HS in-state and ND residency and none for ECs; they have a really different system. OOSers accepted there are generally from one of the WICHE states. West Virginia requires strong state ties. Missouri will ask this too, but I don't know how picky they are. So will UWisconsin, but they seem satisfied with a response about longing to remain in the midwest.

Iowa used to have OOS mimimums for stats, but I haven't heard recently if this is still true (a phone call or website search could save a few bucks). They also expect a description of strong state ties.

Consider adding Oakland, Wayne, and Wright.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't meet Oregon's OOS minimum GPA requirement of 3.65.
North Dakota's formula for selection includes high points for attending HS in-state and ND residency and none for ECs; they have a really different system. OOSers accepted there are generally from one of the WICHE states. West Virginia requires strong state ties. Missouri will ask this too, but I don't know how picky they are. So will UWisconsin, but they seem satisfied with a response about longing to remain in the midwest.

Iowa used to have OOS mimimums for stats, but I haven't heard recently if this is still true (a phone call or website search could save a few bucks). They also expect a description of strong state ties.

Consider adding Oakland, Wayne, and Wright.

That was a perfect response. Seriously Catalystik, you are so awesome.

Do NOT re-take mCAT; your scores are fine.

Eliminate the out-of-state public MD schools.

Add MarionCOM and LMU-DeBusk

Background:

ECs

School List

D.O.

Des Moines University
LECOM Bradenton

MD

University of Miami
University of Iowa
St. Louis University
Wake Forest
Penn State
University of Wisconsin
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
University of Maryland
Creighton
Albany
Jefferson
University of Vermont
Loma Linda
Loyola
University at Buffalo
University of Toledo
Temple
West Virginia University
Rush
University of Illinois
University of Louisville
Tulane
New York Medical College
Drexel
Virginia Commonwealth
Southern Illinois
University of Missouri

More schools to consider trimming for other reasons:

SLU is kinda reachy for you.
Since you don't have a few years of nonmedical service to the disadvantaged, you might remove Loyola, Creighton, and Georgetown. Loma Linda might be reconsidered for the same reason. All these schools have a mission that you don't seem to match.
George Washington has over 13,00 applications per year.

Do NOT re-take mCAT; your scores are fine.

Eliminate the out-of-state public MD schools.

Add MarionCOM and LMU-DeBusk

The state schools that I have listed all have at least 25% OOS acceptance, but I'll make sure to trim those out first.

Thanks for the information about the DO schools.

More schools to consider trimming for other reasons:

SLU is kinda reachy for you.
Since you don't have a few years of nonmedical service to the disadvantaged, you might remove Loyola, Creighton, and Georgetown. Loma Linda might be reconsidered for the same reason. All these schools have a mission that you don't seem to match.
George Washington has over 13,000 applications per year.

Thanks again Cat.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd remove TCOM, whole separate application may not be worth the money but it's up to you, you are pretty competitive for DO. I would not add LMU or Marian assuming you will be applying very early next cycle. With a GPA and MCAT like I can see you receiving early interviews from private DO schools on your list and you could very well get some love from the state DO schools as well I would think.

Don't know much about the MD side, but you're looking good for a DO acceptance at some of these schools and it is a rather strong list of DO schools. Good luck!

If it were me I'd remove TCOM, whole separate application may not be worth the money but it's up to you, you are pretty competitive for DO. I would not add LMU or Marian assuming you will be applying very early next cycle. With a GPA and MCAT like I can see you receiving early interviews from private DO schools on your list and you could very well get some love from the state DO schools as well I would think.

Don't know much about the MD side, but you're looking good for a DO acceptance at some of these schools and it is a rather strong list of DO schools. Good luck!

Thanks for the input.

Side note for any other IL residents who might use this as a reference, apparently SIU doesn't take an MCAT older than 2 yrs.

Updated list. Anyone have more input about MD schools?

D.O.

Des Moines University
LECOM Bradenton

MD

University of Miami
Wake Forest
Penn State
University of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
University of Maryland
Albany
Jefferson
University of Vermont
Loyola
University at Buffalo
University of Toledo
Temple
Rush
University of Illinois
University of Louisville
Tulane
New York Medical College
Drexel
Virginia Commonwealth
University of Oakland
Wayne State
Wright State

Anymore advice on MD schools?

Last edited:
If you aren't from WI or a URM you should drop University of WI. As an OOS, your stats aren't competitive (especially sGPA). That said, if you are still interested in the WI area, there is always MCW to consider...

If you aren't from WI or a URM you should drop University of WI. As an OOS, your stats aren't competitive (especially sGPA). That said, if you are still interested in the WI area, there is always MCW to consider...

Thank you. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that University of WI had a slight IS preference.

I think your list is solid. If you don't mind me asking, how did you prep for the MCAT?

I think your list is solid. If you don't mind me asking, how did you prep for the MCAT?

I would be happy to share how I studied, but my experience with the MCAT may or may not be that helpful; I always enjoyed taking standardized tests and had finished all of my pre-reqs. well before taking the MCAT. My verbal score was an 11 on every practice test that I took before, during, and after studying, so I can't offer much advice there.

I just bought the comprehensive Princeton Review guide and read through it from February to the beginning of May. I was still in school at the time so I probably averaged about a half hour per day or less of studying during that time. I took my test at the end of May and spend the month of May taking and reviewing some of the AAMC practice tests. IIRC my first AAMC practice test was the score I ended up with, so my study plan probably wasn't all that effective.