MD Help with school list (3.70 cGPA/518 MCAT/business background)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandstuorm

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would really appreciate some insight into my schools list as I have a nontraditional background so it's hard to get a gauge of where I stand.

cGPA: 3.70 / sGPA: 3.53 (both upward trends, I did withdraw from organic chem and take the class at a later date)
MCAT: 518

Major(s): Biology, economics

Undergraduate institution: private T-25, graduated 2019

Residence: California

Ethnicity + gender: Asian female

Shadowing: Neurology, emergency medicine, neonatology (80 hours - cut short due to COVID)

Research: economics research on US & Middle East trade (1 year, 77 hours - this is the part of my application that I'm most worried about because each week I spent several hours compiling the data from various sources and analyzed it all at the end, but the nature of the project is light on hours)

Clinical volunteering: restocking patient rooms in a hospital (110 hours - cut short due to COVID)

Non-clinical volunteering: pro bono consulting for nonprofits (500 hours)

Teaching: taught third graders about human behavior and health (1 hr/week = 12 hours)

Paid non-clinical employment:
- Full-time job on the corporate side of online retail (1600 hours and counting)
- Nonprofit internship (110 hours)

Extracurriculars:
- VP of pro bono nonprofit consulting organization mentioned above (430 hours)
- Production company internship (150 hours)
- Lacrosse (started on the most competitive team when I studied abroad in England for a semester - spring season was short so 18 hours)
- College of Letters & Arts ambassador (90 hours)
- Student podcast co-host (50 hours)
- Polymathic society member (essentially inducted into a society that's built on interdisciplinary collaboration - 40 hours)
- Board member of dining dollars donations organization (14 hours)

Awards:
- 4-year, full-tuition scholarship to undergrad institution
- full living expenses scholarship for studying abroad

I was also supposed to start scribing in March but the start date was moved to July due to COVID, I didn't mention it in the primary app but planning on discussing in COVID question on secondaries.

School list (29 here, aiming for 30 but can go up to 35, put a * next to schools that I think are reaches):
Albany
Brown*
Cal Northstate
CUSM
Dartmouth*
Drexel
East Virginia
Emory*
George Washington
Georgetown
MCW
NYMC
Penn State
St. Louis
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
U of Colorado
U of Miami
U of Michigan*
U of Vermont
UC Davis
UC Irvine*
UCLA*
UCSD*
USC*
VCU
Wake Forest

Schools I'm considering adding if my app isn't that competitive:
Indiana University (lived in Indiana for a few years, fwiw)
Loyola
Oakland
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Wayne State
Western Michigan

Super appreciate the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: