Help with school list (3.83/522)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atrmnky

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone in advance! I really appreciate any and all help.

School/major: Graduated Fall 2019, Biomedical Engineering major from JHU

State of residence: MD

Cumulative GPA: 3.83, upward trend (3.59 -> 3.83, got 4.0 my last two semesters)

Science GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 522 (132/128/131/131)

Research: 1900 hours as of this moment; probably going to be around 2200+ hours by the time I apply, and well over 3000+ hours by the time I matriculate (I'm working mostly full time now).
-5 presentations at conferences both at JHU and at national conferences.
-One paper published in eLife, one paper submitted for publication (both are 2nd or 3rd authorships).
-One senior design project that I conducted in my lab (similar to a senior thesis? but the engineering version because I built a product)
-On top of that, another 2nd authorship paper in the works (once we finish data collection after COVID-19) that I can hopefully update adcoms with. Also currently coding up some software/product that may get published as a first author if it all works out.
-I work in a lab that works with human subjects as well as stroke patients (I directly contact them, consent them, do the experiment with them, etc).

Clinical experience:
-The aforementioned experiences in lab (but I know research doesn't count for too much)
-Currently have 110 hours completed at a hospital back home a couple summers ago; I worked in the ER interacting directly with patients (providing basic care like heated blankets, water, and conversation).
-I was selected for a volunteering position at a developmental disabilities day home, but it was halted due to COVID-19. Maybe I can put down the small handful of hours I've completed so far, and then project the leftover 100-200 hours I plan to do once the country reopens.

Physician shadowing:
-54 hours: 30 in neurology, 24 in family medicine/sports medicine

Non-clinical volunteer:
-Mentoring a Baltimore HS student (have been doing this since freshman spring, I spend approximately a couple hours a month texting him and his mom, meeting up for a bit, etc). ~75 hours so far
-Working in a kitchen once a week to prepare meals for those homebound due to medical conditions (started this last fall when I started to have more time in my schedule, and I love it). 50 hours, with another 120+ projected.
-25 hours here and there doing random things like planting trees, building bikes for kids before summer break starts, playing music at hospitals, etc. but I only do these when the opportunities arise for my own enjoyment because they aren't consistent commitments.
-Crisis Text Line - I work at a hotline that aims to bring people down from their hot, critical moments. I started doing this because all of my volunteering got cancelled, and I was anxious and wanted to help out the world in some way instead of just sitting at home (although of course, this is just as important too in helping). At least 30 hours when I apply, 170+ projected (I pledged 200 hours of volunteering)

Extracurricular activities/hobbies/leadership:
-3 year member of a Latin dance team (currently the President, and was on Eboard last year too)
-VP for a club that works with a local HS to plan and host mini science workshop during the school year (I didn't count this as nonclinical volunteering since I just make the curriculum and coordinate stuff behind the scenes, we have people sign up and actually go work with the kids).
-4 year bassist in jazz band
-Played drums in school's musical for 2 productions
-Also played clarinet in a wind ensemble for a semester, and can also play guitar and piano, and produce hip hop beats as well (but nothing in an "official" capacity).

Employment history: my research is paid; on top of that, I work with JHU's BME department in order to assess the undergraduate curriculum and make sure it's ABET certified. I get to work with BME faculty, but honestly it's purely an administrative job that just lets me pay my bills lol.

Immediate family in medicine: no

Specialty of interest: neurology (from shadowing + it's related to my research), something in primary care (from shadowing and volunteering experiences this past semester), but open to anything really

Interest in rural health: Not opposed

Other: ORM (asian)

School List: I want to stay on the east coast if possible, but have no issues applying to other parts of the country if my chances are good. My school list so far is:

UMD (state school, and I would love to go here)
UVA (my sister goes there, and they have the option to do clerkships at a hospital near DC during MS3 and 4, which is close to family)
Icahn (a close friend goes there)
Perelman (100% reach/dream school, but I love Philly and UPenn has amazing research opportunities)

Currently considering:
Pitt
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Cincy
USC
Emory
Case Western
Stony Brook
Also planing to donate (I mean, apply) to a few reaches/dreams like NYU, Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, Stanford but probably not all 5

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive several interviews. NYU, Columbia, Cornell, UCLA and Stanford are not reaches with your stats.

Reactions: 1 users
You have a great application! More than enough reason to include a more than a handful of what you call “donate schools”. Grades and research are excellent. The only potential flaw I can see for the very top schools is clinical volunteering. Potentially nonclinical as well, in terms of getting yourself out there will all sorts of populations. Living in Baltimore for so long, I would imagine there was much opportunity for this, for getting your hands more dirty outside of campus (obviously, before covid).

Include the small hours in the developmental disability home, your reasons for halting are understandable. I would caution against including projected hours. No one knows how this is going to play out, you may be getting ahead of yourself.
The best advice I feel I can give you: can you center your app around a main theme/goal? As in, a certain field of med research you’re dedicated to, underserved populations, lgbt health, maternal health (these are just examples I’ve seen in the interview trail).... etc. Mainly answering the question how you distinctly intend to impact medicine in the future with some experiences to back it up (doesn’t have to be anything crazy like creating a nonprofit! Even normal experiences are ok). Top schools are looking for leaders. The only thing is I would advise against going purely in a research direction, since (including your already heavy background in it) you may have some adcoms wondering if your app is better suited for a phd in science.
I believe you have the potential to see some very good success this cycle! Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great application! More than enough reason to include a more than a handful of what you call “donate schools”. Grades and research are excellent. The only potential flaw I can see for the very top schools is clinical volunteering. Potentially nonclinical as well, in terms of getting yourself out there will all sorts of populations. Living in Baltimore for so long, I would imagine there was much opportunity for this, for getting your hands more dirty outside of campus (obviously, before covid).

Include the small hours in the developmental disability home, your reasons for halting are understandable. I would caution against including projected hours. No one knows how this is going to play out, you may be getting ahead of yourself.
The best advice I feel I can give you: can you center your app around a main theme/goal? As in, a certain field of med research you’re dedicated to, underserved populations, lgbt health, maternal health (these are just examples I’ve seen in the interview trail).... etc. Mainly answering the question how you distinctly intend to impact medicine in the future with some experiences to back it up (doesn’t have to be anything crazy like creating a nonprofit! Even normal experiences are ok). Top schools are looking for leaders. The only thing is I would advise against going purely in a research direction, since (including your already heavy background in it) you may have some adcoms wondering if your app is better suited for a phd in science.
I believe you have the potential to see some very good success this cycle! Best of luck.

Thank you so much for writing all of this up! I agree that the volunteer hours are iffy; I graduated a semester early so that I could finally find the time to dive into a few commitments I've been eyeballing and was excited about (on top of the developmental disabilities home, I also had orientation for a child life position scheduled in March, and was also excited to plant some trees and build some bikes again in May), but unfortunately coronavirus ruined all those plans for the time being. But, of course, it's important to just move on and not dwell on what could've been.

And yes, I think I have a theme or two that I want to talk about! My research experience does tie in to these themes, but when I do talk about research, the focus is more on how research taught me skills necessary to be a good and unique physician, and/or led me to want to become a physician in the first place. I think I have a narrative that weaves together almost all of my experiences, and I touch upon it in both my personal statement and my activities descriptions.

I'll agree you have a strong application. Have you reached out to students currently attending schools that are high on your wish list? It would be good to get some insight into each program's curriculum and student support as you are going through the application process.

I'll agree you have a strong application. Have you reached out to students currently attending schools that are high on your wish list? It would be good to get some insight into each program's curriculum and student support as you are going through the application process.

Thank you for taking the time to read my app over, and yes I have! I have a few friends attending UMD and Icahn, and can ask my sister if she knows anyone at UVA, as well as a friend at UPenn.