Help with school list? 31R, 3.9 GPA, TFA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

commander1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a Texas resident and currently a corps member in Teach for America. I teach high school physics and science intervention... It's an adventure. I'm trying to figure out my school list for applications on AMCAS (I will be applying to all Trxas schools). My ideal choice would be Baylor or UTSW (and I'm not sure about my chances there....?).

-MCAT: 31R
-GPA 3.93
-Research for 2 years, including full time for one summer, but all it got me was second name on a poster for a neuro convention
-1 summer researching in Germany
-1 summer volunteering in ICU and ER (70 hrs)
-About 30 hours of shadowing of my family doctor
-Station manager (president) for student radio station, DJ for 4 years
-President of student organization that did a lot of stuff with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and volunteered at Texas Children's Hospital a bit
-Teach for America (currently)
-a couple other smaller things.

Any advice on my chances (particularly to UTSW and Baylor) and OOS schools I would be competitive at would be much appreciated. I am disappointed in my 31R because I wanted to go to a top-tier school, but I thought it was too risky to retake (and I didn't really have time to).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your mcat is average so its important to make sure you have strong LORs and ECs.

-U of I - Chicago
-U of Indiana
-Texas Tech
-Ohio State U
-U of Vermont
-U of Caribe
-U of Colorado
-East Carolina
-U of Minnesota
-U of Iowa
-Northeastern Ohio
-U of North Dakota
-Tulane
-Mercer
-U of Missouri - Columbia
-East Tennessee state
-U of Missouri - KC
-U of Kansas

Members don't see this ad :)
Otherwise you are a good applicant and should get a couple of acceptances. You can try Mdapplicants.com to see how others with your stats did at other schools.

Hi all,

I am a Texas resident and currently a corps member in Teach for America. I teach high school physics and science intervention... It's an adventure. I'm trying to figure out my school list for applications on AMCAS (I will be applying to all Trxas schools). My ideal choice would be Baylor or UTSW (and I'm not sure about my chances there....?).

-MCAT: 31R
-GPA 3.93
-Research for 2 years, including full time for one summer, but all it got me was second name on a poster for a neuro convention
-1 summer researching in Germany
-1 summer volunteering in ICU and ER (70 hrs)
-About 30 hours of shadowing of my family doctor
-Station manager (president) for student radio station, DJ for 4 years
-President of student organization that did a lot of stuff with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and volunteered at Texas Children's Hospital a bit
-Teach for America (currently)
-a couple other smaller things.

Any advice on my chances (particularly to UTSW and Baylor) and OOS schools I would be competitive at would be much appreciated. I am disappointed in my 31R because I wanted to go to a top-tier school, but I thought it was too risky to retake (and I didn't really have time to).

Thanks!

Its hilarious we have identical stats. And your ECs seem pretty great as well. I applied only to UTH, UTSW, Baylor, UTSA, and UTMB. I received interview invites from all of them. I was prematched to UTH. And taken off of the waitlist by UTSW. So you're in great shape :)

Cyanide, you were in TFA too? Did that hold as much weight as people are telling me it does?

Thanks guys for your help. I am feeling really depressed about my chances right now... I really want to go to Baylor but I keep seeing these stellar MCAT scores.

Cyanide, you were in TFA too? Did that hold as much weight as people are telling me it does?

Thanks guys for your help. I am feeling really depressed about my chances right now... I really want to go to Baylor but I keep seeing these stellar MCAT scores.

No I was not in TFA. I'm sure people will look very positively at that. I had done a few other quirky things like start my own business. But the point I was making is that you'd be fine with your scores. I had a 31R and 3.93 cGPA when I applied, and I was pretty successful with the application cycle. Yes you might have your heart on Baylor, but truth be told, Baylor is having a lot of financial troubles right now. And keep in mind that ALL texas schools are pretty awesome. Regardless of where you go, you will be getting an excellent quality education. One would think that choosing between Southwestern and UTH would be easy, but that too was perhaps one of the toughest decisions I had to make. All texas schools are great. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you have your eyes on Baylor because of its big reputation. But look at the match lists for any texas school, and you'd hardly see any difference at all. So don't worry, your numbers and ECs will make you competitive in all texas schools. Baylor may not happen (relatively low mcat for them) but I still interviewed there with my stats. So maybe you'll get one too and you can really impress your interviewers? So you never know. But the big point I'm making, all texas schools are great. You can't go wrong with any of them and with your stats you should be getting in to one or two schools easily.

Thanks! Did you interview late for UTSW? And when did you submit? I just figured it'd be good to go for a couple OOS schools and see how I fare... I would really like to go back up northeast (although I do hate spending money...). I was thinking Boston and U of Rochester. That list posted above made me sad but I guess it was a reality check...