Jul 10, 2014
516 MCAT, 3.92 cGPA.

Senior who will be taking 1 or 2 Gap years to get a Masters in a public health field (hopefully LSHTM or somewhere else in the UK) and improve ECs/shadowing. Right now my ECs are minimal, especially in the medical field,
-currently spending 4 months in India on Global Health study abroad program

Research:
550 hrs volunteering in microbiology lab researching antibiotic resistance (1 poster, could possibly be on paper) + 640 hrs working full time doing research for biofuel production in Germany for 4 months
+ Currently conducting research on Antibiotic prescribing practices in India

Volunteering: 100 hrs boys and girls club, 50 hrs through Circle K International group, 50 hrs through through volunteer service organization while studying abroad in India, 40 hrs at humane society

EC: biology club, circle K, biology honors society, outreach for global experience office, note-taker for disability resource center

Possible Schools: Emory (definitely top choice), Northwestern, Cornell, Mayo, Case, Einstein, Temple, Dartmouth, Jefferson, SLU, Drexel, Rush, Georgetown, tulane, loyola,

I am very interested in Global Health and Infectious Disease (particularly issues of antibiotic resistance)

Reactions: leagueofDravenMD

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Your stats are in the range Emory and about a half dozen schools on your list target but that doesn't mean much without any clinical experience in the U.S.

Reactions: Goro

TMC07

2+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2016
Status
Medical Student
It's going to be hard for you to get relevant experience in US healthcare when you're living in the UK. LSHTM may sound all well and fancy, but you still need to have a good amount of experience stateside. Have you considered looking into MPH in Global Health programs here so that you can also amass clinical experience? Emory has a fantastic program which could allow you to get your foot in the door at their med school. Duke also has an amazing GH program.

And as I understand it, LSHTM is extremely expensive once you take into account the exchange rate, tuition, and cost of living in London. Smells like an egregious waste of money if you ultimately want to attend a US MD school (even if your family can afford it).

OP
O
Jul 10, 2014
It's going to be hard for you to get relevant experience in US healthcare when you're living in the UK. LSHTM may sound all well and fancy, but you still need to have a good amount of experience stateside. Have you considered looking into MPH in Global Health programs here so that you can also amass clinical experience? Emory has a fantastic program which could allow you to get your foot in the door at their med school. Duke also has an amazing GH program.

And as I understand it, LSHTM is extremely expensive once you take into account the exchange rate, tuition, and cost of living in London. Smells like an egregious waste of money if you ultimately want to attend a US MD school (even if your family can afford it).
Thanks for the reply. I plan on getting more US healthcare experience in the next 8 months before grad school starts and in my second gap year. The reason I want to go to LSHTM is actually because it is extremely less expensive than an Emory MPH. The programs are only one year with tuition being much lower than a US school even with the exchange rate ($29,000 versus $80,000 +). I was really just wanting help with a school list.

Reactions: TMC07