Help with school list (521/3.9)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dahlias

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just wanted to get some advice on my school list.

cGPA/sGPA 3.9/3.95

MCAT
: 521

Home State: California

Ethnicity: Not URM

Clinical Volunteering:
1 summer (50 hours) at a hospital closed to home where earlier I had volunteered for 2 years during high school
170 hours at another hospital where I rotate through different departments (every 3 months) and this activity will be continue during my gap year
60 hours at a hospice service where I visit patients at their own home to give their caregiver a break. I bring my keyboard and sometimes I play music for patients if they request. I plan to continue this one during my gap year also.

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • 100 hours working at a woman shelter in an underserved area
  • 140 hours working at a summer camp for kids who have Muscular Dystrophy.
  • 60 hours working as a member of Health Fair Committee to provide health care for people with low income
  • 60 hours working as member and co-owner of food co-op at my school
  • 30 hours working at blood drive for Red Cross
  • TA for 1 quarter of a upper division biology class
Research: 600 hours (no posters) and continues during gap year.

Shadowing: 35 hours with a pediatric doctor

Extracurricular Activities: Leader of a support group at my church where I provide guidance/support for the members during difficult times.
MD school list:

All schools in CA. Not sure about UC Riverside because I don't have connection to the region

Top-Tier: Duke, WashU, Northwestern, Yale, Case Western

Other: Pitt, Sinai, Cornell, Case, Michigan, Emory, Northwestern, USC-Keck, Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, Arizona (Tucson), UVA, Wisconsin, and Miami?

I honestly have no idea how competitive I would be for some of these top-tier schools. If anyone has input on that or other mid-tier schools I should consider please let me know

And should I apply to some DO schools also?
P/S: my LOR from professors probably are just so so because they don't know my that well, especially during COVID with remote learning. Not sure how critical is it.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1646875487564.gif
    1646875487564.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 150
  • 1646875487612.gif
    1646875487612.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 145
  • 1646875487678.gif
    1646875487678.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 110
  • 1646875487728.gif
    1646875487728.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 98
  • 1646875487790.gif
    1646875487790.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 86
  • 1646875487851.gif
    1646875487851.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 68
  • 1646875487885.gif
    1646875487885.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 70
  • 1646875487976.gif
    1646875487976.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 61
  • 1646875487929.gif
    1646875487929.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 80
  • 1646875488016.gif
    1646875488016.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 144
You could receive interviews at all the schools you listed. You could add any of these schools:
Brown
Boston University
Harvard
Dartmouth
Columbia
NYU
Vanderbilt

I agree you seem to be a strong candidate on paper, so I hope that your essays are properly reviewed and revised and your evaluators submit your letters as soon as they can. Connect with current students or recent alumni (now residents) of schools near the top of your wishlist through AMSA or professional society connections, and do your homework on the schools near the top of your wishlist based on mission or other fit criteria you have. Sign up and be active with the upcoming AAMC Virtual Recruitment Fair and see if they can connect you with a student ambassador most similar to you. Your goal is to ultimately make them want you so be smart about what you are looking for in the schools on your list through your networking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree you seem to be a strong candidate on paper, so I hope that your essays are properly reviewed and revised and your evaluators submit your letters as soon as they can. Connect with current students or recent alumni (now residents) of schools near the top of your wishlist through AMSA or professional society connections, and do your homework on the schools near the top of your wishlist based on mission or other fit criteria you have. Sign up and be active with the upcoming AAMC Virtual Recruitment Fair and see if they can connect you with a student ambassador most similar to you. Your goal is to ultimately make them want you so be smart about what you are looking for in the schools on your list through your networking.
Thank you for your advice. I will try to do all that. I have not started my essay yet but I will graduate this month and after that I will have time to work on my application.

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at all the schools you listed. You could add any of these schools:
Brown
Boston University
Harvard
Dartmouth
Columbia
NYU
Vanderbilt
I heard that school like Harvard only looks for students with very unique experiences, so I am afraid that I will not stand out among a sea of qualified candidates. Do you think that I have a chance?
Thank you

I heard that school like Harvard only looks for students with very unique experiences, so I am afraid that I will not stand out among a sea of qualified candidates. Do you think that I have a chance?
Thank you
Yes, there are only 1% of all applicants who have a MCAT of 520+ and a GPA of 3.9 .

Yes, there are only 1% of all applicants who have a MCAT of 520+ and a GPA of 3.9 .
Great to hear that. Sorry if this question does not belong in this thread but my parents want me to use a medical application consultant service (I don't remember the name)but I heard it is expensive) and I am against it because I don't think it helps. What is your opinion? Thank you for your time.

I’m a California ORM who just applied and had a successful cycle with similar stats…Happy to chat with you about my school list/advice/etc in more details via direct message if you would like :)

I’m a California ORM who just applied and had a successful cycle with similar stats…Happy to chat with you about my school list/advice/etc in more details via direct message if you would like :)
It would be fantastic. Thank you very much

Great to hear that. Sorry if this question does not belong in this thread but my parents want me to use a medical application consultant service (I don't remember the name)but I heard it is expensive) and I am against it because I don't think it helps. What is your opinion? Thank you for your time.
@gonnif do you have any advice e for the OP?

As a someone who works as a paid medical application consultant I tell some 90% or more of students who call me, dont need me. If you are a typical full time student or recent college graduate, without any major problems, you can probably do it on your own or using your college's advisors, recent professors, and readers on hear for help. If you can craft a narrative of why you want medicine and what you would bring to being a physician (ie personal traits, attributes, and characteristics), using the ECs as evidence for that, with a well chosen school list, you will be fine

I do not advise competitive students to consider DO on the their first application cycle unless they have some real drive or reason to do so.

Having said all that I will gladly give you a consult and take you parents $$$.
Thank you very much for your honest advices. I will tell my parents that.

Let your parents help you with a brand new kick ass computer. Or an interview suit. They need to save some money to accompany you to all the school visits... gas is gong to get expensive.

Make sure your parents trust your decision making in this process.

Reactions: 1 users
As a someone who works as a paid medical application consultant I tell some 90% or more of students who call me, dont need me. If you are a typical full time student or recent college graduate, without any major problems, you can probably do it on your own or using your college's advisors, recent professors, and readers on here for help. If you can craft a narrative of why you want medicine and what you would bring to being a physician (ie personal traits, attributes, and characteristics), using the ECs as evidence for that, with a well chosen school list, you will be fine

I do not advise competitive students to consider DO on the their first application cycle unless they have some real drive or reason to do so.

Having said all that I will gladly give you a consult and take you parents $$$.
Thank you for the links. Very helpful and convenient.