Help with school list- 521 MCAT, 3.6 sGPA, ORM, out of school 1.5 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsure.

Reaction score
Hello, I recently received my MCAT scores back and was not expecting to do as well as I did. This really threw me off and I'm having a tough time figuring out "where I stand" in terms of application strength. I have a rough list of schools that I am planning to apply to but due to being out of school for 1.5 years, I don't really have a lot of applying friends/professors to bounce it off of. I would love some help in narrowing down my list and/or new suggestions.

1. cGPA 3.72 sGPA 3.58, large upward trend (3.96 thru last 45)
2. 521 (130/131/129/131)
3. Ohio
4. ORM male (white)
5. Ohio State
6. Medical scribing for 1.5 years. 200 hours of clinical volunteering, 1 leadership position (for undergrads) at a health clinic.
7. Currently working in a large hospital research setting with 2 coauthorships and 1 upcoming primary authorship (August). During my undergrad I worked in an OSU lab for 6 months, which was not a good experience.
8. No shadowing. Planning on doing in the coming months at the hospital that I am at and hopefully sending to schools in a followup letter.
9. 100 hours of nonclinical volunteering- nothing special but in an area personal to me and with disadvantaged populations.
10. I was a coach for high school sports during my undergrad and taught science at a summer camp for elementary/middle school children.
11. N/A
12. I decided on med school very late in my undergrad and therefore a lot of my clinical experiences and volunteering are very skewed toward the past 3ish years. I have an Art history minor that I studied abroad with. I have 2 cases of institutional action against me- my 2nd year one of my roommates cheated off me and I was investigated by Committee of Academic Misconduct, not on my transcript/no sanctions/no grade impact but obviously still reporting. Second, got caught drinking during my junior year. I know these are bad- what is the overall impact? I have talked to everyone I can about it and general consensus seems to be obviously hurts my application but will not rule me out of getting in somewhere. Is this true?

School list:
Case
OSU
Cinci
Toledo
Wright State
Northeast Ohio Medical University
University of Massachusetts
Boston University
Tufts
I have family in Boston, hence the last 3 schools.

And here's where I'm not really sure where to go from. I would really appreciate help in this mid tier school segment for some new ideas. Rough list that could easily be reaching too high:
Drexel
Loyola
UVA
Vanderbilt
Miami
Pitt
Emory
USC
WashU
Miami
Cornell

Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

You could add these schools to your initial list:
Vermont
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
UVA
Duke
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Tulane
Washington University
Western Michigan
USC Keck
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user
thank you so much, I really appreciate it. This is a big help!