Help with school list CA Resident (516 MCAT, 3.91 GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shawshankredemption

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I was hoping I could get some suggestions on my school list. Please let me know if I’m missing a school I should apply to, or if there is a school I should remove. Thank you!

I’m a CA resident at a public in-state university with ties to California’s Central Valley. Biology (B.S.) Honors Minor in Interdisciplinary Studies. South Asian.

cGPA:3.91

sGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 516 (128/131/127/130)

Clinical Experience:

• 250 hours volunteering in an ER

• 100 hours of volunteering in a free medical clinic in Tijuana, Mexico as a member of Flying Samaritan’s (if any of you are familiar with the organization)

• 100 hours volunteering with Family Health Centers of San Diego
Shadowing Experience:

• Shadowed roughly 150 hours across multiple specialities, such as: cardiology, pediatrics, emergency medicine, ophthalmology, hematology/oncology and family medicine; listed in order from greatest hours to fewest hours.
Research Experience:

• Roughly 1000 hours in a heart research lab at my university. (Great LOR from distinguished professor)

• Second author publication

• Keck summer research fellowship, around 100 hours (Great LOR)
Non-Clinical Volunteering:

• I volunteered for two weeks in a food kitchen in Lisbon, about 5 hours/day with IVHQ. It was a really impactful trip and I will list it as a significant EC on my applications.
Leadership Experience:

• I have extensive leadership experience in something that I will not list, because if I do it will reveal my real name and I prefer to keep my privacy. It is a big part of my application and something that really sets me apart. I will list it as a significant EC on my med school apps. (Great LOR from Dean of the College of Science)

Awards:

• Full-ride academic scholarship (merit-based)

School List:

Pretty big list, I definitely need to cut it down. I feel like I have too many reaches. Thank you again for your time!

Reach:

UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
USC
Yale
Harvard
Albert Einstein
Stanford
Duke
Johns Hopkins
University of Chicago
Mayo Clinic
U of Pittsburgh
UW
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
UPenn

Match:

UCD
UCI
Boston University
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Penn State
Sidney Kimmel
Icahn Mt. Sinai
Brown
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of Illinois
U of Miami
UNC Chapel Hill
Wayne State

Safe:

Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good list, but it's probably a bit much.
Schools I would consider dropping: Penn St, Rosalind Franklin, OUWB, UNC, UW
Schools I would consider adding: Case Western (for sure), Ohio State, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, Saint Louis, MCW, UVA, U Cincinnati, UMich

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above poster. Be advised that adcoms look to ur bio section of the mcat most heavily. You are definitely a solid candidate. But don’t over estimate your chances now. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a good list, but it's probably a bit much.
Schools I would consider dropping: Penn St, Rosalind Franklin, OUWB, UNC, UW
Schools I would consider adding: Case Western (for sure), Ohio State, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, Saint Louis, MCW, UVA, U Cincinnati, UMich

Thank you for your reply, Bryant088! I prefer to have some 'safety' schools which is why I have Rosalind Franklin and OUWB, is there any reason in particular I should drop them? Also, I will add the schools you suggested, thank you for those!

Agree with the above poster. Be advised that adcoms look to ur bio section of the mcat most heavily. You are definitely a solid candidate. But don’t over estimate your chances now. Goodluck!

Thanks for your reply Kingsmen! When I first received my scores I was concerned about my B&B score as well, but then I heard that individual subscores aren't as important as overall scores. In your opinion, are there any schools I should drop based off of my bio score? My list is too big imo, so I am looking to cut down. Thank you again!

I'm not sure if mt. sinai should be considered a "match".

I'm not sure if mt. sinai should be considered a "match".

I agree, just checked the MSAR, adding Mt. Sinai to my 'reach' group as well lol. Do you have any suggestions on schools that you consider to be a 'match' that I do not have listed? I feel like I have too many reaches, thanks for the feedback!

Thank you for your reply, Bryant088! I prefer to have some 'safety' schools which is why I have Rosalind Franklin and OUWB, is there any reason in particular I should drop them? Also, I will add the schools you suggested, thank you for those!
Because I'm confident you'll get into way better schools

they are also probably not worth the effort seeing as how they interview very few OOS applicants and many IS applicants.

they are also probably not worth the effort seeing as how they interview very few OOS applicants and many IS applicants.

Based on the MSAR they interview about 14% of both IS and OOS applicants, so I just want to give it a shot. Do you have input on the other schools I have listed? Congratulations on the MD acceptance btw, just saw it!

We may be looking at different numbers? My MSAR says RF interviews 6% OOS and 28% IS and Penn state interviews 8% OOS and 23% IS. I didnt check OUWB, for some reason i thought we were talking about penn state and RF only.

We may be looking at different numbers? My MSAR says RF interviews 6% OOS and 28% IS and Penn state interviews 8% OOS and 23% IS. I didnt check OUWB, for some reason i thought we were talking about penn state and RF only.
I'm not too sure about Penn State, but OUWB and Rosalind Franklin take plenty of CA applicants each cycle

How do you know this? I have heard this too somewhere else before. Just curious

My bad, I thought you were saying to not apply to Mt. Sinai because they interview too few OOS applicants. The numbers I stated were Mt. Sinai's interview stats. I didn't check for RF and OUWB, but a handful of students from the class before me have gotten accepted to those schools as CA residents.

How do you know this? I have heard this too somewhere else before. Just curious

Yeah, I have heard that that they look at subscores, but most people have said that subscores don't matter and some have said CARS matters the most? I hope CARS matters the most, but that might just be wishful thinking lol

Yeah, I have heard that that they look at subscores, but most people have said that subscores don't matter and some have said CARS matters the most? I hope CARS matters the most, but that might just be wishful thinking lol
I have heard CARS matters most to canadian schools.. Deff not true about US. US schools deff look at subsections, but I think as long as your CARS is above 125, you should be good. Ik of people who had very high MCAT's with low CARS and had a lot of success. It usually gets the most slack because of ESL.

I remember reading somewhere that the BIO section is most similar to the boards and maybe thats why they emphasize it? Not really sure tho.

I have heard CARS matters most to canadian schools.. Deff not true about US. US schools deff look at subsections, but I think as long as your CARS is above 125, you should be good. Ik of people who had very high MCAT's with low CARS and had a lot of success. It usually gets the most slack because of ESL.

I remember reading somewhere that the BIO section is most similar to the boards and maybe thats why they emphasize it? Not really sure tho.

I have heard the same about similarity to the boards. I just hope my score doesn't hurt my chances too much, because bio was one of my best sections on the practice and I thought I did well on the real one also, guess not lol

Oh yeah actually I remember from my RF interview that they explicitly say they have a big population from California. I dont remember if they said why though...

And FWIW im from new york and got an interview there so maybe its worth applying as a safetyish school.

I have heard the same about similarity to the boards. I just hope my score doesn't hurt my chances too much, because bio was one of my best sections on the practice and I thought I did well on the real one also, guess not lol
I doubt anyone is going to question your MCAT score. You have a 127 which is solid. It's not like you have a 125... maybe that would raise some eyebrows. I don't think anyone is going to look twice at your score tbh. It's fairly balanced IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt anyone is going to question your MCAT score. You have a 127 which is solid. It's not like you have a 125... maybe that would raise some eyebrows. I don't think anyone is going to look twice at your score tbh. It's fairly balanced IMO.

Okay, I was a bit worried about my score distributions, hopefully it isn't as big a deal as I feel it is.

@nywst @bigbite @MDPedigree

Do you guys think there are any more schools to remove? My list is a bit too big and I don't want to waste time with schools where it isn't worth it. Thank you all for your replies, they have been very helpful!