Help with school list cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.66, MCAT 522

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1griffin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
I would love some advice on my school list based on my stats and ECs. Thank you in advance for your help!
  1. cGPA: 3.81, sGPA: 3.66, MCAT: 522 (131/130/131/130)
  2. Major: Molecular Biology, Minor: Russian/Eurasian Studies
  3. Graduated in 2017, Summa cum laude with High Honors in Molecular Biology from a private top-20 liberal arts college
  4. MA resident, white
  5. Languages: English, Russian, and French
  6. Research Experience:
    • summer in a genetics laboratory
      • 2 poster presentations at local undergraduate research conferences (1st and 2nd author, respectively), 1 at a field-specific international conference (4th author)
    • 1 school year and 2 summers in a computational biology laboratory as part of the Beckman Scholars Program
      • 2 first-author publications, 1 in a general and 1 in a field-specific journal, impact factors of 4.3 and 3.5, respectively
      • 1 poster at a local undergraduate research conference (1st author), 3 posters at field-specific conferences, 2 local (1 first author, 1 second author) and 1 international (1st author)
    • NIH Post-Bac IRTA Fellow for 2018-2019 (upcoming)
  7. Shadowing/Clinical Experience:
    • semester abroad on a public health program, shadowing/interning in a free health clinic for female sex workers (250 hours)
    • currently a volunteer for the Red Crescent, helping to provide first aid in a free walk-in clinic (2 hours/week)
  8. Volunteer Experience:
    • served on a hotline for survivors of sexual assault/intimate-partner violence (300 hours)
    • coached students from disadvantaged backgrounds for the EBRW (Verbal) section of the SAT and helped with college prep as part of a national organization (120 hours)
    • tutored French to second graders at the local elementary school (80 hours)
    • volunteered at a local food pantry and soup kitchen (60 hours)
  9. Work Experience:
    • Currently teaching high school biology as part of a Fulbright grant, 2017-2018
    • While at college:
      • worked in the scene shop building sets (650 hours)
      • worked in the call center calling alumni for donations (1000 hours, including 1 full-time summer)
  10. Notable Awards/Honors:
    • Fulbright English Teaching Assistant 2017-2018
    • Phi Beta Kappa (Honor Society), Pi Delta Phi (French Honor Society), Beta Beta Beta (Biological Honor Society), Phi Eta Sigma (Honor Society)
    • Recipient of my school's highest award for a graduating senior
    • my school's Volunteer of the Year 2016
    • Arnold and Mabel Beckman Scholar (research scholarship)
    • won my school's public speaking competition in 2014
School List:
  • Boston University
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Tufts
  • Columbia
  • Weill Cornell
  • Northwestern
  • Albert Einstein
  • Emory
  • Harvard
  • New York University
  • Yale
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • University of Chicago
  • Stanford
  • Mt. Sinai
I would appreciate any advice on my chances of getting into any of these schools, especially given my limited clinical experience, as well as any suggestions for changes to this list. One note: I don't have a driver's license. If possible, I would prefer to stay in a place where a car wouldn't be necessary. Thank you in advance for your help, and all the best!

s/o to @hydrationshell for the format of this post

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Add your state school- UMass. Your lack of shadowing and clinical experience may limit your chances for interviews but otherwise your application is very good. You could add a few more schools such as:
Rochester
Pitt
Case Western
Washington University
Miami

Hello SDN,
I would love some advice on my school list based on my stats and ECs. Thank you in advance for your help!
  1. cGPA: 3.81, sGPA: 3.66, MCAT: 522 (131/130/131/130)
  2. Major: Molecular Biology, Minor: Russian/Eurasian Studies
  3. Graduated in 2017, Summa cum laude with High Honors in Molecular Biology from a private top-20 liberal arts college
  4. MA resident, white
  5. Languages: English, Russian, and French
  6. Research Experience:
    • summer in a genetics laboratory
      • 2 poster presentations at local undergraduate research conferences (1st and 2nd author, respectively), 1 at a field-specific international conference (4th author)
    • 1 school year and 2 summers in a computational biology laboratory as part of the Beckman Scholars Program
      • 2 first-author publications, 1 in a general and 1 in a field-specific journal, impact factors of 4.3 and 3.5, respectively
      • 1 poster at a local undergraduate research conference (1st author), 3 posters at field-specific conferences, 2 local (1 first author, 1 second author) and 1 international (1st author)
    • NIH Post-Bac IRTA Fellow for 2018-2019 (upcoming)
  7. Shadowing/Clinical Experience:
    • semester abroad on a public health program, shadowing/interning in a free health clinic for female sex workers (250 hours)
    • currently a volunteer for the Red Crescent, helping to provide first aid in a free walk-in clinic (2 hours/week)
  8. Volunteer Experience:
    • served on a hotline for survivors of sexual assault/intimate-partner violence (300 hours)
    • coached students from disadvantaged backgrounds for the EBRW (Verbal) section of the SAT and helped with college prep as part of a national organization (120 hours)
    • tutored French to second graders at the local elementary school (80 hours)
    • volunteered at a local food pantry and soup kitchen (60 hours)
  9. Work Experience:
    • Currently teaching high school biology as part of a Fulbright grant, 2017-2018
    • While at college:
      • worked in the scene shop building sets (650 hours)
      • worked in the call center calling alumni for donations (1000 hours, including 1 full-time summer)
  10. Notable Awards/Honors:
    • Fulbright English Teaching Assistant 2017-2018
    • Phi Beta Kappa (Honor Society), Pi Delta Phi (French Honor Society), Beta Beta Beta (Biological Honor Society), Phi Eta Sigma (Honor Society)
    • Recipient of my school's highest award for a graduating senior
    • my school's Volunteer of the Year 2016
    • Arnold and Mabel Beckman Scholar (research scholarship)
    • won my school's public speaking competition in 2014
School List:
  • Boston University
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Tufts
  • Columbia
  • Weill Cornell
  • Northwestern
  • Albert Einstein
  • Emory
  • Harvard
  • New York University
  • Yale
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • University of Chicago
  • Stanford
  • Mt. Sinai
I would appreciate any advice on my chances of getting into any of these schools, especially given my limited clinical experience, as well as any suggestions for changes to this list. One note: I don't have a driver's license. If possible, I would prefer to stay in a place where a car wouldn't be necessary. Thank you in advance for your help, and all the best!

s/o to @hydrationshell for the format of this post
Nothing wrong with aiming high. I suggest:

U MA
Wash U
U Chicago
NYU
U Penn
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
JHU
BU
U VA
U MI
U VM
U WI
UCSF
UCSD
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra

Thank you guys for your help! I'll be sure to take your suggestions into account. All the best! :)