Hello, any suggestions for my school application list would be much appreciated.
- Degree: B.S. Neuroscience, B.A. English
- State: Virginia
- Undergraduate institution: Virginia Tech
- URM (Y/N): N
- Family member in medicine : N
- Interest in primary care: Y
- Interest in rural medicine: N
- Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
- Hospice (volunteer): ~32 hours (experience cut-short due to pandemic)
- Clinical Research Coordinator (paid): I see patients who are participating in clinical trials and I conduct their visits (take vitals, draw blood, ECG, spirometry assessments, etc.). ~1200 hours
9. Research experience and productivity
- Biochemistry research (nonpaid): Worked in an enzymology lab. ~420 hours. No publications. Presented in one small poster session housed within the school’s biochem department.
- Neuroscience research (fellowship): Spent a summer working in a neuroscience lab studying aging and ALS in mice. ~400 hours. No publication. Presented at a university-wide poster session.
- Higher Education: I presented at First-Year Experience Conference for Higher Education; unrelated to my studies, closely related to one of my ECs
10. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
- Clinical Shadowing: 100 combined hours (including ~30 virtual) shadowing neurosurgery & cardiology.
11. Non-clinical volunteering:
- Campus Kitchen Student Leader: Led student volunteers in gathering unserved, uneaten food from campus dining halls and delivering to one of six local hunger relief agencies and nonprofits. ~90 hours.
- Food Bank during COVID: I have been volunteering in food pickup for families affected by COVID. I expect ~64 hours by the time I apply to med school.
12. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
- Student Coordinator: I was the student coordinator for a Living-Learning community of 200+ science students. ~400 hours across 3 years
- OChem TA ~70 hours
- Peer Mentor & Event Planner(paid) for summer research students. Did this for 2 summers while doing research on the side. ~400 hours across two summers
- Stand-Up comedy: I love stand-up; I was an active member of the school’s comedy club. Performed bi-weekly.
13. Relevant honors or awards: dean's list, honor societies, one research fellowship
Boston Medical College
UVA, VCU. Don't want to got to VT.
Also, I wanted some clarification on this: it's my understanding that it is a bad idea to apply to public schools out-of-state unless you have strong ties. Is that always true? Are there any schools that are exceptions to this rule?