Help with school list | cGPA: 3.91, sGPA: 3.85 | MCAT: 515 – 129/129/129/128

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Sep 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, any suggestions for my school application list would be much appreciated.
  1. Degree: B.S. Neuroscience, B.A. English
  2. State: Virginia
  3. Undergraduate institution: Virginia Tech
  4. URM (Y/N): N
  5. Family member in medicine : N
  6. Interest in primary care: Y
  7. Interest in rural medicine: N
  8. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  • Hospice (volunteer): ~32 hours (experience cut-short due to pandemic)​
  • Clinical Research Coordinator (paid): I see patients who are participating in clinical trials and I conduct their visits (take vitals, draw blood, ECG, spirometry assessments, etc.). ~1200 hours​
9. Research experience and productivity
  • Biochemistry research (nonpaid): Worked in an enzymology lab. ~420 hours. No publications. Presented in one small poster session housed within the school’s biochem department.​
  • Neuroscience research (fellowship): Spent a summer working in a neuroscience lab studying aging and ALS in mice. ~400 hours. No publication. Presented at a university-wide poster session.​
  • Higher Education: I presented at First-Year Experience Conference for Higher Education; unrelated to my studies, closely related to one of my ECs​
10. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  • Clinical Shadowing: 100 combined hours (including ~30 virtual) shadowing neurosurgery & cardiology.
11. Non-clinical volunteering:​
  • Campus Kitchen Student Leader: Led student volunteers in gathering unserved, uneaten food from campus dining halls and delivering to one of six local hunger relief agencies and nonprofits. ~90 hours.​
  • Food Bank during COVID: I have been volunteering in food pickup for families affected by COVID. I expect ~64 hours by the time I apply to med school.​
12. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)​
  • Student Coordinator: I was the student coordinator for a Living-Learning community of 200+ science students. ~400 hours across 3 years
  • OChem TA ~70 hours
  • Peer Mentor & Event Planner(paid) for summer research students. Did this for 2 summers while doing research on the side. ~400 hours across two summers
  • Stand-Up comedy: I love stand-up; I was an active member of the school’s comedy club. Performed bi-weekly.
13. Relevant honors or awards: dean's list, honor societies, one research fellowship​
School List
Reaches
Mt. Sinai​
Case Western​
Northwestern​
Boston Medical College​
Pittsburg​
Targets
Rochester​
Dartmouth​
Hofstra​
Einstein​
Emory​
Drexel​
Temple​
Thomas Jefferson​
George Washington​
Georgetown​
Miami​
Tufts​
Rush​
In-state
UVA, VCU. Don't want to got to VT.​
Also, I wanted some clarification on this: it's my understanding that it is a bad idea to apply to public schools out-of-state unless you have strong ties. Is that always true? Are there any schools that are exceptions to this rule?​
Thank you!​

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your application is good and your school list is alright. I think you forgot EVMS for in state though? And your instate schools are your best shot, so be sure you're certain that you don't want to apply to VT.

Of your list, I think Rush looks for lots of non-clinical volunteering, so it can be better replaced with another school. And generally yes, OOS public schools have a pretty big IS bias and you need to be an above average candidate or have connections.

I would add a few more target schools: Cincinnati, USF Morsani, Wake Forest, Loyola, Vermont, NYMC, Albany, SLU, MCW are some good options to look into.

Sep 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your application is good and your school list is alright. I think you forgot EVMS for in state though? And your instate schools are your best shot, so be sure you're certain that you don't want to apply to VT.

Of your list, I think Rush looks for lots of non-clinical volunteering, so it can be better replaced with another school. And generally yes, OOS public schools have a pretty big IS bias and you need to be an above average candidate or have connections.

I would add a few more target schools: Cincinnati, USF Morsani, Wake Forest, Loyola, Vermont, NYMC, Albany, SLU, MCW are some good options to look into.
I am curious here because you added Cincinnati and USF which are both public schools OOS. Are they known to be more open to OOS?

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.