Help with School List for Upcoming Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAKIRI

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I'm just getting ready for my winter quarter next week and plan on applying in the spring! I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on my school list. If it helps, I'm pretty sure I wanna specialize after dental school. In addition, do you guys have any tips on writing a personal statement? I wanted to start mine this break but I'm having trouble writing a "good" personal statement. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys!

Overall GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.9
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 26 AA, 27 TS, 28 GC, 26 OC, 27 Bio, 30 QC, 19 RC, 24 PAT
State of Residence: CA

Undergrad Attended:
UCLA third year
Major: Biology
Minor:
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
25 hours with an endodontist, 200 hours with two different general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 200 hours at the dental school, 20 hours with the predental club doing community service, 20 hours with the prehealth club doing health screenings
Employment: None
Research: Just starting next week. I will be working on research regarding chronic pain
Other Extracuriculars: In a cultural club where we host a cultural night every year.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list most of my quarters
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:

UCLA
UCSF
UOP
USC
Loma Lina?
UNLV

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
unless youre a convicted felon youd get into almost all of those places except loma linda since they prefer SDA students (unless you are SDA). Maybe add some private schools you like and then just go to the cheapest school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah your stats are really good -- had the same AA and got into all the schools I wanted to actually attend.

If you wanna apply to some good OOS public schools like Michigan/UNC/UConn those would be great options too. Also the Ivy's if those appeal to you at all.

As long as you apply early you'll get your fair share of interview offers and if you interview well you'll get multiple offers for sure. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You're literally the perfect candidate lol. You could also apply to schools that offer merit-based scholarships like UNC, Penn, Michigan.. Since you're set on specializing I would add Columbia as well. With those stats, apply to places you genuinely see yourself attending and don't waste any extra money. As long as you have decent interviewing skills you should be okay. These are some PS examples that should give you some ideas as to how to structure it.

You're literally the perfect candidate lol. You could also apply to schools that offer merit-based scholarships like UNC, Penn, Michigan.. Since you're set on specializing I would add Columbia as well. With those stats, apply to places you genuinely see yourself attending and don't waste any extra money. As long as you have decent interviewing skills you should be okay. These are some PS examples that should give you some ideas as to how to structure it.

Thank you! Writing this personal statement is a struggle :(

UNC supposedly doesn't give merit-based scholarships. The dean of admissions said, " Unfortunately UNC has no merit scholarships to award." There are scholarships awarded but how they are awarded, I have no idea.

UNC supposedly doesn't give merit-based scholarships. The dean of admissions said, " Unfortunately UNC has no merit scholarships to award." There are scholarships awarded but how they are awarded, I have no idea.
Mmm. Sorry didn't know that. I said that bc I know someone I know who got a huge scholarship based only on their application.