Help with school list - imbalanced MCAT (high CARS) and little research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweed_Cap

Reaction score
State/Country of Residence: WA
Ties to other States/Regions: UT
Year in School: Graduating senior
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Spanish
Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A
Cumulative GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.82
MCAT Score(s): 519 (128/132/127/132)
Research Experience: 1 semester, research lab. Honestly, I really didn’t get much from the experience and it felt like I was just checking a box, so I decided after that summer my time was better spent volunteering more. My plan had been to get into clinical research this summer to see if that was any better, but, well, ya know... That didn’t work out. And I still think it was the right decision, it just may affect now where I apply.
Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): N/A
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 600 EMT, 600 personal care aide, 300 volunteer medical interpretation at a free clinic
Physician Shadowing: 40 hours
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 150 domestic violence shelter, 180 E.R. volunteer, 75 misc. community interpretation, 75 food bank
Other Extracurricular Activities/Hobbies: Piano, reading, etc. Nothing to really set me apart.
Other Employment History: Spanish TA (almost three years), summer job at clinic
Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): N/A (Keeping an open mind, but EM and peds interest me)
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N (Yes, but not sure enough that I’d put it on an application.)
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N (Open to being convinced, but that’s about it.)

All right, here’s the thing—WARS said I should be taking like 45% from Category 1, but that seems like a crazy idea to me with a holistic review of my app. Little research, imbalanced MCAT (which I’ve heard is normal, but it’s my science that are lower). Do adcoms break down the MCAT scores that much? The MSAR does, and even for schools where my overall score matches well, my science sections (and sGPA) are in the lower percentiles. And don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely ecstatic with my score! Just not sure what to do with it, you know? I'm not sure where my target should be; the breakdown below is my best guess.

If I were to add schools, should I really be adding more top-tier? I would love to apply to Northwestern, Cornell, and maybe even Vandy, but I'd rather not throw away the money if I wouldn't be considered competitive, and I've heard that the very top schools, being research powerhouses, really care about an applicant's research experience. I already have some top dream schools on the list (Michigan, Mayo, Sinai) and I don't want to get greedy.

Medical School List:

Michigan
Mayo
Sinai
Baylor
UVA
Pitt
University of Utah
University of Washington
Washington State University (Elson S. Floyd)
UCLA
Emory
the Ohio State University
Rochester
Einstein
U of Iowa
UWisconsin-Madison
Miami
Rush

I’m also sending in TMDSAS to UT-Houston (McGovern) and Southwestern.

A lot of my volunteer experiences have been focused on working with the Hispanic community. Schools in areas with large Hispanic populations (TX, CA, Chicago, New York, etc.) are a +. I also took some schools off my list because of higher tuition (BU, Tufts, Colorado, U VT, Dartmouth, etc.). I also took off Case Western because they require two science faculty letters, and I only have one.

Does this seem balanced correctly, with the right ratios between reach, target, and so-called “safety”? I feel like I should maybe add on a few more, and if so, where should I pull from (i.e., high, mid, or lower)?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could add any of these schools:
Brown
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Georgetown
Duke
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U Chicago
Washington University

You could add any of these schools:
Brown
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Georgetown
Duke
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U Chicago
Washington University

@Faha Ok, thanks! I thought I would've needed more research for those, so I really appreciate the input. Are there any on my list you'd take off, or exchange?

In other words, does the rest of my list (especially my lower end, my "safety schools") look all right?

[Edit: And just so I understand to evaluate which ones I might apply to as well, did you suggest those mostly based off of stats, or how? Thanks again!]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You could remove the TMDSAS schools since they accept few non residents with no connection to Texas. Your stats are good enough for any school.

same. what is your goal date to have your primary submitted by?

Haha well, I'm already past when I originally wanted to submit, but I've told myself it'll be in by Friday no matter what. Have you submitted yours yet?

You could remove the TMDSAS schools since they accept few non residents with no connection to Texas. Your stats are good enough for any school.

I guess I was worried more about how the research should affect applying to top-tiers and less about the general stats, but I really appreciate the help!

Haha well, I'm already past when I originally wanted to submit, but I've told myself it'll be in by Friday no matter what. Have you submitted yours yet?
Nope, I have not. I was close, but then a mentor basically said that she really did not dig my personal statement so I am basically redoing it now. I talked to one of the "verified experts" on here and he told me that normally you are fine if you get your app in by labor day, and it is a "pre-med delusion" that you are late if you are not submitted by June 2nd. But, others (typically reddit users) sometimes tell me that it is already super late. So, I don't know what to think. All I know is that I'm stressed.

Nope, I have not. I was close, but then a mentor basically said that she really did not dig my personal statement so I am basically redoing it now. I talked to one of the "verified experts" on here and he told me that normally you are fine if you get your app in by labor day, and it is a "pre-med delusion" that you are late if you are not submitted by June 2nd. But, others (typically reddit users) sometimes tell me that it is already super late. So, I don't know what to think. All I know is that I'm stressed.

Mmm, that's rough. That sounds frustrating, trying to start from scratch when on a time crunch. I take comfort in the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing, so if verified counsel here says it's all right, I'm sure it is! For me, when I'm stressed with a long-term goal I divide it into chunks, then schedule those out by day. Like, "just spend at least an hour free-writing" one day, "go over rough draft with a mentor" another day, etc., and then seeing the progress as I go helps me feel better.

You're not alone--there are still those of us (possibly a lot of us) that haven't submitted quite yet, but are still optimistic about this cycle. :) And even though I don't think we can count on leeway during "COVID cycle" too much, this really is new for everyone, applicants and adcoms alike.

Best of luck, and hope your statement writing goes well!