Help With School List: Low GPA, High MCAT, Patents and Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebrad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been trying to generate a school list for MSTP programs around the country but getting a solid list of schools has been difficult given my app. I think it might be wise to apply as broadly as possible given my financial situation, but I thought y'all might be able to assist in narrowing some choices. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.55 (strong upward trend junior and senior year taking ~24 credits a semester)
MCAT: 525

Research:
- 4 publications in highly regarded journals in Neuropathology, two of them first author
-4000 hours since June 2014, when I began my own research in a Neurosurgery Lab and have continued to publish on the topics in a Neuropathology Lab
-Principal Investigator of a Grant to study a novel dye for use in spinal cord injury models, culminating in publication in a small journal
-Non-Provisional Patent in my name pertaining to Neuropathology and Neurosurgery
-Founded an LLC to license the Patent, awarded ~50,000 from University to develop the technology
-In the process of founding a Brain Bank at my private research university, although at this state it is far too provisional and not concrete enough to mention on my application, though.

Shadowing:
~400 hours shadowing clinical Neuropathologist
~800 hours shadowing head Neurosurgeon in Tier 1 Trauma Center
~300 hours shadowing benchtop scientists in Neurosurgery Lab

Volunteering:
~100 hours volunteering in an adult literacy center teaching adults and children to read with a set cirriculum
~200 hours volunteering at local art gallery in conjunction with local chapter of the Alzheimer's association in a program designed to expose patients to art therapy in a scientifically-formulated manner to halt disease progression. Founded club on campus to engage more students in this program, and is something I am very passionate about.

LORs:
4, 2 from previous PIs in my labs and will be personable and well written, 1 from director of art program who has seen me interact with ALZ patients, and 1 committee letter from my school.

ECs:
-President of on-campus Fraternity, organized many philantropy events and community outreach programs
-Captain of Water Polo Team
-Member of Neuroscience Student Undergraduate Society

I think that I have some solid ECs and MCAT score, but I'm daunted by my GPA, which is a little more than a standard deviation away from the average accepted GPA for these programs. My school list I've been thinking to applying to is: UMaryland, Hopkins, Alabama, USCF, UCLA, Columbia, UVA, Emory, Mayo (Minn), and UHSU. Do I need to really broaden my app becasue of my GPA? My nervousness is primarily centered around my subpar gpa. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, given your ECs and credentials the sky is the limit. If you have the money, add some more programs in. I’d shoot for 15 if I were you. You can always turn down interviews later.

Reactions: 1 users