MD Help with School list. MCAT: 512 / cGPA 3.84 / sGPA 3.94

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildbach

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a cGPA of 3.84 and BCPM GPA of 3.94
MCAT: 512 (128/125/131/128)

I was involved in research for 1.5 years - Earned a $1500 grant, and I presented a poster at an American Society for Microbiology Conference. I also volunteered as a Spanish interpreter at a surgical center for ~100 hours. I have 50 hours of shadowing.

-I am an Illinois resident

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medicine
University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine
University of Wisconsin
University of Minnesota Medical School
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Maybe not
Rush Medical College
Mayo Medical School
Boston University School of Medicine
University of Maryland

Do you guys think I should eliminate any of these schools or add any? I feel like I have a pretty good chance at a lot of these schools. A few are reach schools (northwestern & boston university). I would love to get into these schools, but realistically, I 'd love to go to University of Illinois.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I should have taken that bet.

Delete BU (you are at the 10th percentile MCAT).
Delete Mayo (small class, not quirky enough).
Both of the Georges are low yield, but your call.
Delete Maryland. (low stats for OOS).
Rush has very high minimal service expectations.

Is that your only MCAT?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Moving to WAMC forum. Please read the stickies at the top of the forums before posting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, my bad... Thanks for moving the thread.

Now that we're in the right place, I'd still love some feedback.

I should have taken that bet.

Delete BU (you are at the 10th percentile MCAT).
Both of the Georges are low yield, but your call.
Delete Maryland. (low stats for OOS).
Rush has very high minimal service expectations.

Is that your only MCAT?

Thanks, yeah this is my only MCAT.

What do you mean by this? You've said the same for OHSU too. I am interested in both. What are their accepted applicants like?

They will
What?? I really hope that doesn't affect my chances of getting in. What are they going to do?
Accept fewer to begin with next year. They will also have a smaller number of available spots if they are successful in getting a significant number to defer into the next class.

What?? I really hope that doesn't affect my chances of getting in. What are they going to do?

My school overbooked a few years ago, the class after me, and while they got a few people to defer, they were still about 15 people over the class limit. This prompted being more cautious with handing out acceptances the following year, like gyngyn said. It shouldn't really affect your chances too dramatically unless a relatively large number deferred, but the timeline of acceptance/waitlist might be different/delayed this year.

And they really like wearing suits.

My school overbooked a few years ago, the class after me, and while they got a few people to defer, they were still about 15 people over the class limit. This prompted being more cautious with handing out acceptances the following year, like gyngyn said. It shouldn't really affect your chances too dramatically unless a relatively large number deferred, but the timeline of acceptance/waitlist might be different/delayed this year.

And they really like wearing suits.

I'm still curious as to what you mean, but if they have a really small class size, then I'll just take them off. I'm really bummed about University of Illinois overbooking this year though :(

I'm still curious as to what you mean, but if they have a really small class size, then I'll just take them off. I'm really bummed about University of Illinois overbooking this year though :(

Schools always dole out more acceptances than seats, because most applicants hold multiple acceptances until the last day they can and then drop. Typically it's around a 2:1 acceptance:matriculant ratio, i.e. hypothetically if a school has 150 seats they historically had to accept 300 in order to end up matriculating 150 people after everyone settled into 1 choice. One year, more people wanted to matriculate than expected. Since the school has a class limit for a reason, they try to get people to defer a year by offering them free tuition for a year or some other incentive. A few people might take that, but the class may still be over capacity, and the school has to deal with it. The class after that one will have fewer spots because of the deferred matriculants, and the school may not hand out as many acceptances so early on, and may prefer to pull more people from the waitlist after they get a better idea of the class size. They'll still have the 150 seats total, minus a few for deferred people, but instead of accepting 300 outright they might accept 200, wait a while for people to drop, and then accept more. It's just a numbers game.

Reactions: 1 users