Help with school list: MCAT: 518 (130|130|129|129), cGPA: 3.63, sGPA: 3.52

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_02114

Reaction score
Hi! I have a list put together, but I am wondering if it is realistic at all or if anyone would suggest adding certain schools (maybe some "safeties"?). Some details...

Competitive undergrad, but not top 20. Strong upward trend in GPA, last 3 semesters 3.96, 4.0, and 4.0, with probably 4.0 again in spring. I have leadership on Eboard of an honor society and as a TA and tutor. 150 hours as an intern in a dermatology clinic, along with 20 and counting hours in another clinical setting, 400+ hours research in which I am about to publish a paper. Volunteering at a soup kitchen 2-3x per week, ~100 hours.

This is my current list, not in any particular order:
  • Duke
  • Dartmouth
  • BU
  • Georgetown
  • Brown
  • Tufts
  • GW
  • UMass
  • Wake Forest
  • Temple
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Tulane
  • Emory
  • Mt. Sinai
  • Rush
  • St.Louis U
  • Eastern Virginia
  • UMichigan
  • UPittsburgh
  • Mayo clinic
  • UCLA
  • UVA
  • Virginia Tech

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought schools like Rush were super service oriented and heavy on ECs? I could totally be wrong though I haven't applied just thought i'd put that out there for you to consider. Their average volunteer hours is like 1500 or something I think

You have a very good application. Your GPA is OK but on the lower end for a lot of the reaches; your MCAT is excellent and can offset that a bit. It's fine to have those reaches (Michigan, Duke, Pitt, UCLA, Mayo) but make sure to have a solid base of safeties/targets too.

I would consider adding 5+ from these: Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Quinnipiac, Hofstra, Einstein, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Case Western, Rochester, Miami.

I thought schools like Rush were super service oriented and heavy on ECs? I could totally be wrong though I haven't applied just thought i'd put that out there for you to consider. Their average volunteer hours is like 1500 or something I think
thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind

You have a very good application. Your GPA is OK but on the lower end for a lot of the reaches; your MCAT is excellent and can offset that a bit. It's fine to have those reaches (Michigan, Duke, Pitt, UCLA, Mayo) but make sure to have a solid base of safeties/targets too.

I would consider adding 5+ from these: Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Quinnipiac, Hofstra, Einstein, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Case Western, Rochester, Miami.
Thank you for the suggestions! Will definitely add some of these in