Help with school list (now have a MCAT score)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsb00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I made a thread back in May 21st regarding school choices and was told it would be harder to give advice without a mcat score. So I took the July 8th MCAT and recently received my score of 508 (127/124/128/129). The 124 CARS score is worrying me a little. I am a NY resident who recently graduated with a 3.52cgpa (3.45sgpa).
I have a strong upward trend in my gpa starting junior year with 3.8+ (ended the last semester with a 4.0!). I have two C+ from my freshmen and sophomore year (chemistry and cell biology) but hopefully I have shown I am capable of rigorous courses by getting A's in other challenging courses.

Extracurricular:
-300+ hours volunteering in emergency department, cardiology unit, post-anesthesia unit
-50+ hours volunteering in soup kitchen
-E-board member of club on campus involved in fundraising money for schools in other country and part of another organization dedicated to community service
-Part-time job as a lab assistant for 3 years (not research-related)
-Research at a psychology lab with no publication (1 year with a pretty strong LOR)
-TA for a biology class
-Strong letters from various professors (writing, science, history) and also a letter from founder of the club
-Shadowed ~45 hours with various physicians (Internist, Radiologist, Anesthesiologist) and received a LOR from a DO physician
-Will work as a medical scribe during gap year (unsure if I should include this in my primaries)

Current List (I plan on applying to ~10)
NYCOM
TOURO-NY
LECOM
PCOM
RowanSOM
LMU
UNECOM
WVSOM
LUCOM

I would appreciate any feedback, especially since primaries and secondaries aren't cheap!! Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

ur fine :) remove lucom,

Reactions: 1 users
Is it because lucom highly favors instate over OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get rid of LMU and LUCOM. You can do better. Consider adding NOVA, DMU, RVU, KCOM, KCU, and potentially the Midwesterns if you like. I suggest applying to ~12 total if you want to give yourself a good shake. I'm sure 10 is fine but I am personally risk adverse so I would maximize my chances with as many as you could see yourself going to.

Reactions: 1 user
After reading a bit, I did come across Goro's comments and other information regarding LUCOM. I guess that's off my list! Thank you for your inputs.

I have a question that is not about school selection. I recently was hired as a medical scribe and was wondering if this would be appropriate to be included in my experiences section of my primaries. I understand that it is not an experience that I have already completed but it seems relevant towards my application! Once again, thank you all for your help.