Help with School List Please! (4.0 GPA, 522 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted958920

Hello everyone! Thanks for taking a look at my post.I am applying next cycle after a couple gap years, and am working on the list of schools I plan on applying to.

Just a little background about me:

Caucasian, CA resident, but graduated high school in NV (hence the reason for the 2 NV schools on my list).

GPA: 4.0, Biology (B.S.) and Chemistry (B.A) from a small liberal arts school in WA

MCAT: 522 (129/129/132/132)

Honors: Summa Cum Laude, President's Cup award for graduating with 4.0, Several biology and chemistry departmental awards from my school.

Clinical hours: 500 hours
50 hours volunteering at a hospital
350 hours CNA experience
hoping to have 100+ hours of primary care shadowing by time of application.

Non-clinical volunteering: 550 hours
Tutoring low income kids after school: 75 hours
High school student mentor program 50 hours
Guatemala service trip (went 2 separate times the second time as a leader of the trip) 165 hours x2 (330 total)
Making and delivering meals for people with disabilities in a low income housing complex: 100 hours

Research Exp: Approximately 4500 hours
500 hours Undergrad REU program studying soil chemistry with poster presentation at a research conference
approx 4000+ hours working full time as a research tech at a top 20 institution studying pancreatitis by time of application. I am a coauthor on 2 abstracts (1 in a journal with an Impact factor of 21) and am hoping for a publication by the time of application

Leadership exp: I was an RA my junior year,
TA for several classes (does this even count?),
led a study abroad trip to Guatemala my Senior year
I was vice president of my schools premed club.

Personal background: grew up in a large family that struggled with low income and homelessness at times when I was young. This really guided my non-clinical volunteering as it made me passionate about helping those who can't help themselves. Ask me for any other information if needed.

I am pretty poor right now and I think the maximum amount of schools that I can handle applying to is about 20 schools. My premed committee requires 15 schools in order for me to get a committee letter.

Here is what I have so far:
1. Stanford
2. UC San Francisco
3. NYU
4. Northwestern
5. University of Chicago
6. Mayo Clinic
7. UC San Diego
8. UCLA
9. USC
10. UC Irvine
11. UC Davis
12. OHSU
13. Rosalind Franklin SOM
14. UNR
15. UNLV

Any feedback would be awesome! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! Thanks for taking a look at my post.I am applying next cycle after a couple gap years, and am working on the list of schools I plan on applying to.

Just a little background about me:

Caucasian, CA resident, but graduated high school in NV (hence the reason for the 2 NV schools on my list).

GPA: 4.0, Biology (B.S.) and Chemistry (B.A) from a small liberal arts school in WA

MCAT: 522 (129/129/132/132)

Honors: Summa Cum Laude, President's Cup award for graduating with 4.0, Several biology and chemistry departmental awards from my school.

Clinical hours: 500 hours
50 hours volunteering at a hospital
350 hours CNA experience
hoping to have 100+ hours of primary care shadowing by time of application.

Non-clinical volunteering: 550 hours
Tutoring low income kids after school: 75 hours
High school student mentor program 50 hours
Guatemala service trip (went 2 separate times the second time as a leader of the trip) 165 hours x2 (330 total)
Making and delivering meals for people with disabilities in a low income housing complex: 100 hours

Research Exp: Approximately 4500 hours
500 hours Undergrad REU program studying soil chemistry with poster presentation at a research conference
approx 4000+ hours working full time as a research tech at a top 20 institution studying pancreatitis by time of application. I am a coauthor on 2 abstracts (1 in a journal with an Impact factor of 21) and am hoping for a publication by the time of application

Leadership exp: I was an RA my junior year,
TA for several classes (does this even count?),
led a study abroad trip to Guatemala my Senior year
I was vice president of my schools premed club.

Personal background: grew up in a large family that struggled with low income and homelessness at times when I was young. This really guided my non-clinical volunteering as it made me passionate about helping those who can't help themselves. Ask me for any other information if needed.

I am pretty poor right now and I think the maximum amount of schools that I can handle applying to is about 20 schools. My premed committee requires 15 schools in order for me to get a committee letter.

Here is what I have so far:
1. Stanford
2. UC San Francisco
3. NYU
4. Northwestern
5. University of Chicago
6. Mayo Clinic
7. UC San Diego
8. UCLA
9. USC
10. UC Irvine
11. UC Davis
12. OHSU
13. Rosalind Franklin SOM
14. UNR
15. UNLV

Any feedback would be awesome! Thank you!
Your platinum, Aim High. Suggested list will come later but of your list above, delete Rosie Franklin.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest:

NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
All UCs except UCR
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
UNR
UNLV

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure that you apply to FAP to help with application fees.

I suggest:

NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
All UCs except UCR
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
UNR
UNLV

Thank you so much for the help. I appreciate it!

You’ve got a great application, wishing you the best! Be sure to do some mock interviews to seal the final deal when the time comes, and if you’re going to MMI I believe googling YouTube MMI coursegrinder will get you to some neat prep materials. Just a word of caution to you when choosing schools that it can be really hard to end up at a school with kids who will be second+ generation MDs and people from a way different SES, it’s impacted some of my classes social dynamics and I just never expected that (but it may also never happen to you in school so don’t be too concerned about it!)