Help With School List Please MCAT 524 and Gpa 3.9 with low Ecs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedog12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize academically I am competitive but I am worried I may not have enough extracurriculars for more competitive schools. Could you please give me suggestions for a school list. If I do apply with these extracurriculars would I have a chance at John Hopkins, Mayo, Duke, etc... Also please do not quote in the thread.
MCAT: 524 (132, 131, 130, 131)
cGPA: 3.94
sGPA:4.0
Volunteering: Direct Patient Contact ~500 hours (since high school)
Research: Biochemistry lab ~500 hours (over 3 years) with 2 posters and 1 abstract
Leadership: TA for Chemistry for 3 semesters as well as a tutor for 1 semester
Shadowing: ~300 hours over several specialities
Plan on having about 100 nonclinical volunteering hours at a soup kitchen
Great LORs from PI as well as several science professors.
I have a passion for medicine and I hope it well show through in my personal statement.
I also do have family members who are doctors. My undergraduate institution is a small regional university. I would rather not post the state of residence but I am sure I can get into my state school but I was hoping for out of state admissions. Are my Ecs deal breakers or is it possible to be competitive with them. Thank you in advance for your advice.
My current list includes:
University of Miami, University of Chicago, Duke, Emory, Harvard, John Hopkins, University of Virginia, Mayo, University Of Michigan, Georgetown, George Washington, Vanderbilt, NYU, Washington University in St. Louis, my state school, and any other suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your chances are pretty solid at Vanderbilt and WashU -- these are very stats-oriented schools. No one really has an excellent chance at Harvard, JHU, Mayo, etc -- these schools are looking at many variables beyond stats, making admissions decisions very unpredictable. However, I would say its absolutely worth applying to all these places, with your exceptional stats and fairly solid ECs. However, adding mid-tier schools would be wise -- look at slightly lower tier schools that still appreciate high stat applicants (Hofstra, USC, etc) and all your state schools. Overall, you are likely to matriculate somewhere great :)

Edit: I would not call your ECs 'low,' by any means, but competitiveness may depend on the quality of these experiences, leadership positions held, etc.

Your ECs, while not stellar, are "fine".

Best chances are going to come with shotgun approach to top 20 (exclude UCLA, UCSD, University of Washington, and Baylor unless you're from CA, CA, WWAMI, or TX respectively), 4-7 mid tiers (you have UVA, Miami, Emory, - consider including Rochester and Einstein), and your state schools.

The DC schools aren't going to be high yield for you, but if you're interested, it doesn't hurt to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think my chances are for mid-tiers such as Miami, Emory, or Duke given my Ecs? Thank You

Last edited:
I suggest (after getting more non-clinical ECs, esp. service to others less fortunate than yourself):

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA,
UCSD,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo (both)
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
Your state school

I realize academically I am competitive but I am worried I may not have enough extracurriculars for more competitive schools. Could you please give me suggestions for a school list. If I do apply with these extracurriculars would I have a chance at John Hopkins, Mayo, Duke, etc... Also please do not quote in the thread.
MCAT: 524 (132, 131, 130, 131)
cGPA: 3.94
sGPA:4.0
Volunteering: Direct Patient Contact ~500 hours (since high school)
Research: Biochemistry lab ~500 hours (over 3 years) with 2 posters and 1 abstract
Leadership: TA for Chemistry for 3 semesters as well as a tutor for 1 semester
Shadowing: ~300 hours over several specialities
Plan on having about 100 nonclinical volunteering hours at a soup kitchen
Great LORs from PI as well as several science professors.
I have a passion for medicine and I hope it well show through in my personal statement.
I also do have family members who are doctors. My undergraduate institution is a small regional university. I would rather not post the state of residence but I am sure I can get into my state school but I was hoping for out of state admissions. Are my Ecs deal breakers or is it possible to be competitive with them. Thank you in advance for your advice.
My current list includes:
University of Miami, University of Chicago, Duke, Emory, Harvard, John Hopkins, University of Virginia, Mayo, University Of Michigan, Georgetown, George Washington, Vanderbilt, NYU, Washington University in St. Louis, my state school, and any other suggestions.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. The hours I have posted I have not yet fully reached so I was wondering would it be better if I ended up with 400 clinical volunteering hours and 200 nonclinical at a local food bank? Also, I do not know if this would change anything, but the clinical volunteering I have is at a large hospital which serves a large radius of nearby rural areas where many patients drive several hours to reach. Should I emphasize this or is it irrelevant and would this be considered serving an underserved population?