MD Help with school list/ should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbils

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my score back: 29 (9 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS)
cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.54
Did a full summer as a volunteer/shadow (every day, more or less full time) at a local hospital in different departments
Did 4 months in a research lab (no publications)
Have other volunteer experience (both clinically and non-clinical) and have been a TA once
NY resident and will be applying in June for the next cycle and will likely be getting a job in field during my gap year

What schools should I be looking at to apply and should I consider a retake (avg. AAMC was around a 31)?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all 4 SUNY schools. You would not be competitive for OOS public schools with a MCAT of 29. For private schools consider Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Albany, Commonwealth (PA), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, St. Louis, Creighton.

Probably shouldn't retake if you scored so close to your average. Getting a similar - let alone lower - score will look bad. Unless you can improve your score 3-4 points, probably not worth the risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% agree. Also add Penn State, MCW, and all other new schools Faha didn't list. Hofstra might a reach.

Apply to all 4 SUNY schools. You would not be competitive for OOS public schools with a MCAT of 29. For private schools consider Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Albany, Commonwealth (PA), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, St. Louis, Creighton.

100% agree. Also add Penn State, MCW, and all other new schools Faha didn't list. Hofstra might a reach.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. So in your guys' opinion I should apply with the 29 and not do a retake? Obviously nothing is a guarantee but just wondering if that is your suggestion in my case.

Thank you very much for your input