Help with School list + WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessieu13

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am planning on applying next cycle and I am getting everything together trying to put together a potential school list. Im pretty anxious about everything so I’d appreciate any advice or comments in general! I’m trying to find out my overall chances (even though we all know med schools can be finicky).

URM : no
White Female
I’ll be pretty young not sure that it matters though (only 19 when applying)
First gen college student!

Academic Stats:

3.8 cGPA

3.75 sGPA

515 MCAT (target)

Clinical Volunteering: 250 hrs

Volunteer 80 hours SICU

Volunteer 100 hours Birth Center

Red Cross Volunteer 50 hours

Clinical Paid Work: 1000 hrs

Pharmacy Tech 1000 hours
Clinical Shadowing: 70 hrs

General Surgery Shadow 8 hours

Primary Care Shadow 20 hours

International Shadow (Barcelona) 20 hours

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 250 hrs

Teaching Assistant Chemistry 50 hours

Plasma Donor 10 hours

Elks Lodge 150 hours

Sorority Events 40 hours

Research: 600 hrs

Neuroscience Research (Addiction) 500 hours
  • John Hopkins’ Research Symposium
Plant&Soil Sciences Lab Assistant 100 hours

Leadership: 300 hrs

Service Coordinator for Sorority 150

National Honor Society for Leadership and Success 50

Camp Counselor 100 hours

Extracurriculars: 10 hrs/week

Club Softball

Neuroscience Club

Omega Phi Alpha Service Sorority

Current List (I want to apply to at least 20-25 though) :

1. Duke University
  2. Cornell University (lol)
  3. Dartmouth College
  4. University of Virginia (IN-STATE)
  5. Virginia Commonwealth University (IN-STATE)
  6. West Virginia University
  7. Indiana University
  8. Pennsylvania State University
  9. University of Pittsburgh
  10. Eastern Virginia Medical School (IN-State)
  11. Case Western University
  12. Ohio State University
  13. SUNY upstate
  14. Albany
  15. Charles Schmidt FAU
Should I add any DOs??

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I forgot to mention! I go to West Virginia for undergrad and have a guaranteed interview there, and I also have strong ties to Indiana because a lot of my family lives there!

thank you!!

When are you planning to take the MCAT ? It is not possible to make an accurate list of schools to apply to without a real MCAT score .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When are you planning to take the MCAT ? It is not possible to make an accurate list of schools to apply to without a real MCAT score .
I plan on taking it in March, but I have been studying for a couple weeks now. I just want to get an idea based on what I have now in terms of grades and ECs ply what I’m hoping to get on the MCAT if that makes sense.

@Faha is right! It is a waste of time to develop a list without a MCAT score. Your actual score may be much higher or even much lower. Come back next year when you have a score and people will help you out. In the meantime, buy the MSAR and research schools based on your stats and state of residence! What does “plasma donor” and “Elks Lodge” mean? Is this service to those less fortunate than yourself in the community-the unserved/underserved? What are the sorority activities you are involved with? Good luck with your MCAT studying and test!

is that your own picture? If so you should take it down to preserve your anonymity.

Last edited:
I plan on taking it in March, but I have been studying for a couple weeks now. I just want to get an idea based on what I have now in terms of grades and ECs ply what I’m hoping to get on the MCAT if that makes sense.
Post your actual score here when available next year and I can suggest schools based on your stats and ECs.

Absent of an MCAT score, you need to know what you want first and then select based on your match with mission, geography, career opportunities, mentorship, and community support. The metrics will come when they do, but you should know what type of environment you need to thrive. Not all plants thrive in the desert AND in the forest, no matter how strong the plant is.

Reactions: 1 user