1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

MD Help with school list

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Francesco Maoli, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Labkid

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've never made one of these threads so I don't know all the information you guys would like to see but I'll put up everything I know off-hand and supply more as you ask for it.

cGPA 3.253 sGPA 3.57

I have not taken the MCAT (Will take on OCT. 25th) and was told you can apply and they will wait for the scores to come in. I am shooting for at least a 32 and have gotten 30 on the practice so I am still studying hard.

I have 1 more year (this & next semester) before I am done with university. I am aiming to do some volunteering hopefully right after I receive my scores (if satisfactory) just in case I don't make it in this time. This way I'll have started on volunteer hours already for next app process.

Shadowing: CV (6hrs), Gastro (20-30hrs), Peds (20-30hrs), Trauma (80+hrs)
    Volunteer: None (I have e-mail, called multiple times they don't tend to reply to me, will keep trying)
    Research: Will be doing a 3-4 credit hour research for a semester in a E-Microscope lab

I know the professors from which I want a letter of recommendation from, all of whom have previously written me great rec letters previously and have agreed to write me one again at any time I need it. All I need to do is ask. (2 science professors, 1 non-science)

I don't know if it makes much a difference but the resident I shadow I have gotten to know pretty well. I only get to shadow him on call so it's always trauma but I could ask him to write me a letter of recommendation.

Current School List: (Haven't looked much further than SC since money is an issue for me)

• MUSC
    • USC Medicine Greenville
    • USC Medicine

Couple of things about me:
    • Started as Undeclared Averaged a GPA of around 3.3 all years to 1st Junior semester b/c I didn't know what I wanted at the time
    • Was a Business double major Marketing/Entrepreneurship which is why I have 130+ cred hrs
    • Switched to Biology last semester (2nd Semester Senior year) made a 3.72 and got Dean's List
    • All science classes I have made mostly A's/B+'s and 2 B's (1 lecture, 1 lab)
    I understand the cGPA is horrible and the sGPA is barley above the "average", from what I've been told. I was hoping that they'd see as soon as I switched to something I loved that I became extremely dedicated and started becoming a better student even though my work load grew exponentially.

The last good thing I think of is that most of the people in the hospital know me by now because I'm constantly in there (for someone who isn't pre-med). I've met a lot of doctors and am constantly networking in hopes it helps just a bit more. So hopefully that helps my chances later on after med-school.

As always thanks for all the help you guys are great!

EDIT: I realize it's hard to give me ideas without an MCAT score, obviously I am not on the best "timeline" for med school and that will make things a bit more difficult.

I'm just looking for an idea of where to apply if I get at least a 30 MCAT and where that would put me.

#1 Labkid, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    For the SC schools, your sGPA is still below avg, and the cGPA is <10th %ile. I recommend not applying unless you can get your cGPA > 3.3.

The only school you're competitive for would be VCOM-SC. There are several COMs in neighboring states for which you're also competitive.

I understand the cGPA is horrible and the sGPA is barley above the "average", from what I've been told. I was hoping that they'd see as soon as I switched to something I loved that I became extremely dedicated and started becoming a better student even though my work load grew exponentially.

The last good thing I think of is that most of the people in the hospital know me by now because I'm constantly in there (for someone who isn't pre-med). I've met a lot of doctors and am constantly networking in hopes it helps just a bit more. So hopefully that helps my chances later on after med-school.

As always thanks for all the help you guys are great!

EDIT: I realize it's hard to give me ideas without an MCAT score, obviously I am not on the best "timeline" for med school and that will make things a bit more difficult.

I'm just looking for an idea of where to apply if I get at least a 30 MCAT and where that would put me.[/QUOTE]

4. Labkid

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks, that's about the answer I was expecting right now.

I still have this semester and next so it's more than possible right now for both of those GPAs to go much higher (the cGPA I when I calculated it seemed likely for me to get at least a 3.35 and at max somewhere in the 3.4 range).