help with school selection 3.5sGPA, 3.4cGPA, 30P MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I really need help as to what schools I should focus on. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Here's my profile:

3.4 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 30P MCAT (11VR, 9PS, 10BS) First time on the MCAT, no time to retake unfortunately
I go to a top 5 undergrad on east coast and am a CA resident and class of 2012. I'm also economically disadvantaged and come from a low-income family if this helps give you some perspective.

My ECs:
Shadowing: Did 100s of hours shadowing all of sophomore year and some of junior year. Shadowed surgeons in the OR, saw them follow up, met weekly in one of their offices for an entire quarter, shadowed an internist, and more shadowing was done at my volunteer clinic (see next)
Clinical Experience: I've volunteered at a local free clinic for 2 years and still am. The patient base is made up of mostly immigrants, the uninsured, and the poor. I'm really into serving the disadvantaged community and am thinking of doing primary care because of that or surgery because of my shadowing experiences. I also am EMT certified and worked on campus as an EMT for a year, but I wasn't very interested/active so I quit since all I did was bandage cuts and scrapes.
Leadership: I've been president of a couple groups (still am) for several years
Research: Been working in a lab on campus for a year and still am.

LOR:
Will be getting one letter from an advisor from each of the groups I've led. Each of these advisors have a medical background. I'll also get one from my PI of course. A well-known bio prof and a humanities prof both have agreed to write me letters once I finish my PS.

So.. aside from taking chances at the top tier schools and all the UCs (including UCLA PRIME), which schools should I really be considering? I really don't know any schools beyond the top schools. THANKS SO MUCH!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I really need help as to what schools I should focus on. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Here's my profile:

3.4 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 30P MCAT (11VR, 9PS, 10BS) First time on the MCAT, no time to retake unfortunately
I go to a top 5 undergrad on east coast and am a CA resident and class of 2012. I'm also economically disadvantaged and come from a low-income family if this helps give you some perspective.

My ECs:
Shadowing: Did 100s of hours shadowing all of sophomore year and some of junior year. Shadowed surgeons in the OR, saw them follow up, met weekly in one of their offices for an entire quarter, shadowed an internist, and more shadowing was done at my volunteer clinic (see next)
Clinical Experience: I've volunteered at a local free clinic for 2 years and still am. The patient base is made up of mostly immigrants, the uninsured, and the poor. I'm really into serving the disadvantaged community and am thinking of doing primary care because of that or surgery because of my shadowing experiences. I also am EMT certified and worked on campus as an EMT for a year, but I wasn't very interested/active so I quit since all I did was bandage cuts and scrapes.
Leadership: I've been president of a couple groups (still am) for several years
Research: Been working in a lab on campus for a year and still am.

LOR:
Will be getting one letter from an advisor from each of the groups I've led. Each of these advisors have a medical background. I'll also get one from my PI of course. A well-known bio prof and a humanities prof both have agreed to write me letters once I finish my PS.

So.. aside from taking chances at the top tier schools and all the UCs (including UCLA PRIME), which schools should I really be considering? I really don't know any schools beyond the top schools. THANKS SO MUCH!

Generally speaking you have about a ~50% chance at getting accepted according to the AAMC data (https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf).

With that said, you want to apply as broadly as you can. As a CA resident you want to apply to privates schools and OOS public schools w/ ~15-25% OOS students that are in your stats range.
Just look in the MSAR.

A few that come to mind are UToledo, Rush, Roslind Franklin, Temple, Drexel, Vtech, Creighton, Loma Linda, NYMC, Louisville, UofAz etc.

With your stats it is going to be really tough for you to stay in California. Also the "top teir schools" you mentioned which I assume you mean the US News top 20 schools are really going to be a stretch as well. You want to apply to as many fit schools for you as you can. Make sure your list is not too top heavy.

Hoped that helps.